Campus Cutie: Hannah Hippen ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Name: Hannah Elisabeth (Marie Cecilia) Hippen

Age: 19

Year: 2018

Hometown: Omaha, Nebraska

Major: English

Activities: Alpha Sigma Tau, Her Campus Kenyon, Social Media and Marketing Intern for the CDO

Power animal: A bumblebee! Or a butterfly.

Hi Hannah! As a member of Her Campus Kenyon, you’ve written some really insightful pieces on your personal growth over the Summer. One of the changes in your lifestyle is your veganism. Can you talk to us a little about that?

I’m a environmental, ethical, and nutritional vegan. What that basically means is, when you meet a vegan, they say they’re either an environmental vegan, because they use less supplies than others, an ethical vegan, because they care about animals, and a nutritional vegan, because I care about what I put in my body and want to consume less meat. I want to live more holistically.

How has going vegan impacted your day-to-day life?

It hasn’t really impacted my life, just improved it. I have a lot more energy, my skin is clearer than it’s ever been. I make slightly different choices when I walk into Peirce, but other than that there are no differences. I’m a lot more open about what I eat and am open to discussion, which sometimes scares people.

What’s your favorite treat?

I have so many!! I eat so much food! I love making “Nice-cream,” which is ice-cream made out of frozen bananas. So my favorite is Nutella Nice-cream, which is made out of bananas, hazelnut powder, strawberries, and cacao nibs. It’s the bee’s knees!

What kind of advice would you give to incoming freshman who also follows this lifestyle?

Don’t be afraid to ask for help from Peirce, and also from other vegans you meet at Kenyon. I’ve met so many people just from encountering them at the vegan fridge in Peirce! You can make a lot of friends just from living similarly.

On to the fun questions! I know you prefer dogs over cats, but which do you like best: chocolate or vanilla?

Vanilla, because my weakness is a sugar-free soy vanilla latte. It’s my favorite drink! I also love vanilla-scented candles.

If Jeni’s made an ice-cream flavor just for you, what would it be and why?

I actually wrote an essay this summer about this! I would say mine would be like rocky-road, because I’ve had a lot of bumps and scrapes along the way but I came out tasting pretty sweet!

Finally, what is one thing on your Kenyon bucket list?

I have like three things on my Kenyon bucket list. 1) To have a book in the Kenyon Authors section in the Bookstore. 2) To be featured as a notable alumni. 3) To get married in the Sacred Heart Chapel.