This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Year: Sophomore

Age: 19

Hometown: Columbus, Ohio

Major: English and Drama

Campus Activities: Chamber Singers, Brave Potato, CA, Tour Guide

Hi Zoe! You directed Brave Potato’s showing of Heathers last week. What can you tell us about the process and about your experience with the show?

I interviewed for the job of directing because, for some reason, they had a music director but no director yet. It was just about two months ago that I interviewed with the board. I was not expecting to get it at all. I only had experience assisting and directing Rocky Horror, but I got emailed about it that night.

I was immediately extremely excited and extremely frightened… I freaked out! The time-frame was so short, that I had to have auditions only a couple days after getting the job. I got together a crew of about 20 people within 24 hours, and we got a cast together just a day after that.

For a musical director, the whole experience is interesting, because there are so many people you’re collaborating with. For a play, you’re like God, but this was definitely a huge collaboration between me and Emma Brown and other key players in the crew.

What was the best, or funniest, moment during production?

We had this one scene in the second act, where we had these two actors named Jas Spearman and Kevin Towle. There was one night in the middle of the blocking process (which is always a difficult process) when I was in a terrible mood and just really stressed out. We showed up that night and we were blocking this little slap fight between the two of them, and it was so hysterical because they brought so much energy. We were just in the Black Box and laughing. It instantly made me feel so much better! The middle of the rehearsal process is so grueling, so when you get that comedy it brings everybody up, and it’s so great.

What was your favorite song in the show?

Oh, I love “Seventeen.” It has a great melody. There’s a moment in the song where the melody changes and it’s just gorgeous when you just get Craig, our pianist, and Rio and Luca singing. I thought it was beautiful.

You’ve acted in Brave Potato productions in the past. What has been your favorite song to perform?

I’ve actually only acted in Brave: A Pop Opera, and I sang a song “A Quiet Night at Home.” It was just me in front of the audience, it was a ballad. But, in the final dress rehearsal, I completely blanked. Like, completely! For two minutes, I couldn’t open my mouth. I forgot all the words and the melody. It was the weirdest thing. But opening night my friends came and I sang it and made people cry. It was great, I love that song.

Do you have any advice for other aspiring directors or actors at Kenyon?

Directors: assistant direct as much as possible, you can really get in there and get experience. Take “The Director” with Jim Dennen, because that’s kind of a life-changing class. I didn’t think I had any interest in directing until took that class. Even if you get experience with stage managing or anything like that, it’s good.

Actors: just keep auditioning! Honestly, it’s the hardest thing in the world when you keep getting rejections. I’ve gotten my fair share of rejections from all kinds of groups on campus, but you have to just keep auditioning. I almost didn’t audition for Bare after being rejected from 11 a cappella groups and other theater groups, but I got in! I was not expecting it. You just have to keep going.

On to the fun questions! If you could perform a duet with any singer in the world, who would it be and why?

The very first person who comes to mind is Sarah Brightman, the very first Christine in Phantom of the Opera. I was really into her when I was twelve, I had all her Christmas albums and stuff.

Do you have any hidden talents?

I can do this thing with my fingers:

If Jeni’s made an ice-cream flavor just for you, what flavor would it be and why?

Can it be Ben & Jerry’s?

Sure!

I would really enjoy an update of their CHubby Hubby that has actually good pretzels, because they changed their recipe and now they have crappy pretzels.

Finally, what’s one thing on your Kenyon Bucket List?

I need to jump in the Kokosing sooner or later. Also I’ve heard there’s a hot tub or something in the KAC, so I need to get on that.

Thank you Zoe!

Class of 2017 at Kenyon College. English major, Music and Math double minor. Hobbies: Reading, Writing, Accidentally singing in public, Eating avocados, Adventure, and Star Wars.