This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

When I studied abroad, I made it my mission to try a dessert from every country that I visited. However, if you’re not backpacking around the world, here are 8 delicious desserts to make that will transport you to another country.

1.     Crepes (France)

Crepes can come in all different varieties, from sweet to savory. You can have banana and nutella or  jambon et fromage (ham and cheese) if you want to deviate from the dessert theme (you little rebel). Really, many combinations are delicious. They are transportable and just down-right delicious.

2.     Baklava (Greece)

Apologies to anyone who has a nut allergy, but baklava may be one of my favorite desserts of all time. It is a traditional Greek and Turkish dessert made with phyllo dough (paper thin sheets of dough), nuts, and honey. Most traditional Greek restaurants make Baklava with walnuts, but Baklava with pistachios is equally amazing.

3.     Flan (Spain)

Flan, a delightful custard dessert topped with caramel, is actually considered Portuguese and Mexican, as well as Spanish. Flan isn’t the easiest to make, but once you succeed, it is so very worth it.

4.     Snail (Denmark)

Trust me. You are not eating a real snail. That’s called escargot. The Danish snail is the equivalent to the American cinnamon roll, but about ten times better. They are warm, gooey, and delightful. If you ever get to Copenhagen, go to St. Peder’s Bageri (Bakery) on Wednesday for the best snail of your life. 

5.     Tiramisu (Italy)  

This rum-and-coffee-soaked cake sounds like an interesting combination, but it absolutely delightful. When most people think of Italian dessert, they think of gelato or cannoli, but to be completely honest, I don’t think I could make homemade gelato or cannoli. Make sure you have unsweetened coca powder for your tiramisu or the sweetness might be slightly overwhelming.

6.     Scones (Great Britain)

I know, I know, when you think of scones you think of breakfast, but they can really be eaten at anytime! You can have plain scones, raisin scones, pumpkin scones, or any type of scone that you want. If you really want to be British, get some clotted cream and jam.

7.     Churros (Mexico)

Churros are a fried dough pastry, often referred to as Mexican doughnuts. Apparently they can be knotted, but I always envision them as the long log-shaped pastry item. They are sugary, fried, and amazing – definitely not something to eat if you’re on a diet.

8.     Apple Pie (America)

I did say around the world desserts, so you have to come home sometime! We all know apple pie with its cooked-apple, cinnamon sugary goodness. It is pretty much the ultimate fall dessert. It’s America’s dessert!

I hope you enjoy your trip around the world. In my opinion, the best way to experience the world is through food, because food is fantastic. Bon Voyage! Buenas Travels! God Tur!

Images:

sheknows.com

allrecipes.com

tasteofhome.com

olivetoeat.com

bettycrocker.com

chefinyou.com

howtocookthat.net

tasteofhome.com