This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

If you’ve followed my articles over the past year, you might have noticed I enjoy writing about different aspects of comics—see here, here, and here—and I’m not about to buck that trend! While preparing my last article, I was frequently distracted by various webcomics I enjoy, so I decided to lean into that feeling and share five of those webcomics. While a few of these have been made into books, I still think of them as webcomics because I first encountered them online, and some are still going online. This is by no means an exhaustive list and is very much filtered through my own personal preferences, but I hope you enjoy them!

Hark! A Vagrant

Forever the number one in my heart, “Hark! A Vagrant” is a ridiculously enjoyable collection of comics about everything from English literature, to Canadian history, to feminism, to random pop-culture ephemera. Kate Beaton, the creator, has a historian’s eye for detail and a way of connecting to her subject material that somehow both celebrates it and finds the humor in its eccentricities and peculiarities. Her humor is never mean-spirited, and I’ve found myself enjoying learning about obscure areas in history that I never would have learned of had I not been browsing her website with the “random” button. Although Beaton is currently working on a graphic novel and not posting updates, the “Hark! A Vagrant” website is still a treasure trove. You can jump in anywhere, but I personally recommend starting here, with her hilarious take on Wuthering Heights.

How to read it: go to harkavagrant.com! And check out Beaton’s Tumblr for biographical comics and blog posts.

Lunarbaboon

A sweet and funny look at, well, being human. The creator explores topics like parenthood, depression and anxiety, and how to be a good person with humor and sensitivity. Chris (I can’t find any other name for him) started the comic as a way to cope with his mental health issues, but to quote his Patreon, it’s become “more about creating something for the fans.” And I believe he’s succeeded in that! Chris’s work is accessible and enjoyable to read. It’s easy to be a new fan and jump in, because all the strips are self-contained (though his family features as recurring characters).

How to read it: on lunarbaboon.com and Webtoons. There’s some overlap between the two sites, but there are also some differences in content.

Power Ballad

This comic is slightly different from the first two in that it had a limited run (only 26 episodes, unfortunately!) but a longer format with an ongoing story. The plot follows Meera Verma, personal assistant to mega-famous singer Carina Peterson, as she assists her boss with various activities (vigilante and detective work, party planning, you know, the usual) and deals with her crush on her. Molly Brooks, the creator, crafted a fun and engaging story that also features well-thought-out characters who have realistic and interesting relationships with each other. The story has a good mix of humor, intrigue, action, and romance, and I was extremely bummed when I discovered it wouldn’t be an ongoing series. But it’s still there for you!

How to read it: only on Webtoons!

Live With Yourself!

Created by Shen, the one-name wonder who is also behind well-known webcomics like Owlturd Comix and Bluechair, this comic is a deeply absurd, frequently ridiculous (but always fun!), mostly-coherent story about a man who, through an accident at work, ends up living with a version of himself as a baby, as himself a few days in the future, and with himself as an old man. The science sure as heck does not make sense, but that’s not the point. It’s silly and fun and has lots of time-travel hijinks.

How to read it: on Webtoons, once again!

Branson Reese

I put the creator’s name as the title because I don’t believe he’s given a title to the daily comics he posts on Twitter. His work is a mix of anti-jokes (though that’s not exactly what his work is), very odd and strange humor, and a somewhat unsettling art style. Running across his comics in my Twitter feed is a good time.

How to read it: Branson Reese’s Twitter feed.

So there you go! Five webcomics to look out for. I’ll reiterate again that this is but a very small sample of everything that’s out there. I’ve barely even touched the surface, and I can think of about five more off the top of my head that I enjoy (I can’t believe I didn’t mention unOrdinary, or Sarah’s Scribbles, or JL8!). Feel free to ask me about things I like, or to give me suggestions! I’m always open to reading more.

Images: Feature, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

SaveSaveSaveSave

Katie is a senior (well, basically, it's a long story) English major and history minor from Woodstock, Vermont.
Jenna is a writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Kenyon. She is currently a senior chemistry major at Kenyon College, and she can often be found geeking out in the lab while working on her polymer research. Jenna is an avid sharer of cute animal videos, and she never turns down an opportunity to pet a furry friend. She enjoys doing service work, and her second home is in the mountains of Appalachia.