5 Feminist Documentaries On Netflix You Should Watch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Finding myself in a current documentary phase (probably because I have already gone through most of Netflix’s series and fiction movies), I am happy to see the wide representation of feminist documentaries on Netflix. This is especially encouraging given the lack of female-driven movies/shows as well as media’s typically discouraging, negative portrayals of women. Whether you want to learn more about the history of women’s movements or current injustices and political events affecting women globally, it is important that we are exposed to all different kinds of feminists and conflicts. Here are 5 documentaries that do just that ever so inspiringly.

1. She’s Beautiful When She’s Angry

A reflection on the women’s movement from the late 1960s through the mid 1970s, She’s Beautiful When She’s Angry displays many of the difficulties that women faced and fought to change. Even the title disregards the typically sexist “she’s beautiful when she smiles” saying, while celebrating the combination of action and agency with sensuality and self-love. What a success!

2. The Hunting Ground

The Hunting Ground created far-reaching effects throughout the country, as it exposes the unfortunate epidemic of sexual assaults on college campuses. We may be all too aware that the fight for safety in our own bodies is still ongoing, but The Hunting Ground features some impressive women who get shit done by coming together to open a discourse about the widespread issue and fight injustices.

3. A Ballerina’s Tale

The first African American female principal dancer with the American Ballet Theater. An incredible athlete, revealing the strength and power required of ballet. Redefining the typical “ballerina body.” An embodiment of pure talent and drive. Hell yes, Misty Copeland! I’m a fan!

4. Finding Home

Finding Home tells the story of three Cambodian women, all victims of sex trafficking. The documentary places the depressing and way too apparent issue of sex trafficking with individual identities and context, making it all the more powerful. “Victims of human trafficking are so much more than just their trafficking stories. They’re survivors. They’re my heroes.”

5. The Women’s List

Anything that features the amazing, beautiful Alicia Keys has me sold, but The Women’s List should be noted for all of its feminine heroes, as they share their own shattering of the glass ceiling stories.

There are many different ways to understand different women, both nationally and internationally, as well as individual struggles, but these documentaries promote some needed feminist values that we can all get on board with. I’ve found them to be a passive way to submerge myself in various, important topics regarding women as well as a good excuse to find my bed, forget work for a little, and snuggle up with some friends. Hopefully, they inspire you to take action and embrace your feminist identity. So, go forth women and break those barriers one badass at a time!

Source: giphy.com, pbs.com, clevelandfilm.org, netflix.com