This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

With a new year at school comes (for most of us) a new space to live in, to get used to, and (my favorite) to decorate.  One of the best ways I have found to battle homesickness in the first few weeks of school and acclimate to a new place is by making your room feel home-y.  Decorating your room at the beginning of the year will ensure that you always have a happy place to go back to at night, which is especially important once our new classes start to become super stressful.  Here are just a few tips on how to cheer up your new space!

1.     Make a Photo Collage—Everyone loves reminiscing about good times, and what better way to cheer yourself up than to have a bunch of photos around to remind you of all of your fondest memories?  From pictures of your family and friends back home to photos of times with your friends here at Kenyon, having photos on your walls will be sure to put a smile on your face every time you walk into your room.  (Hint: It’s super easy to print out some photos from Facebook or Instagram using the library’s printer and hang them up with scotch tape).

2.     Drape Some Scarves for Color—It’s no secret that winters here in Ohio can be harsh and grey.  Having a place to go back to with lots of color will do wonders to boost your happiness levels in the dreary winter months.  A really easy way to add some color to your room is by giving your scarves a dual purpose.  For example I just hung up a couple of command hooks (you can get them from the Bookstore or at Walmart) and draped a scarf on each of them.  If you ever want to wear the scarf, it’s in easy reach, but otherwise, they serve as a super cheap and easy way to glam up your room.

3.     Hang up Christmas Lights—This tried and true method for decorating your room will be sure to brighten it up no matter what time of year it is!  Christmas lights are super cheap at Walmart, and you can put them up using mini command hooks.  I also used paper clips to attach some photos to my lights for double the cheer!

4.     Add a Dry-Erase Board—It’s a college cliché to have a white board on your door so that your hallmates and friends can write you notes, but mini dry-erase boards are great to put inside your room as well.  You can use them to write inspirational quotes or just as a space to remind you when you need to remember – like bringing a certain book to class or making sure you attend a club meeting.

5.     Decorate Mason Jars to Hold Your Pens—If you like to study in your room, you’ll probably be spending a fair amount of time at your desk this year.  Why not make sure that space is also cheery by decorating a mason jar or two to hold your pens and highlighters?  They serve the dual purpose of cheering up your desk and ensuring that all the school supplies you could need are in easy reach.  There are lots of events at Kenyon where you can decorate mason jars, or else the supplies can be easily purchased at a craft store.

These are just a few ideas to get you started in making your room feel cheerier and homier.  Having a comforting space to go back to at the end of the day is so important; whatever you do, just make sure that your room reflects you!  

Rebecca is a senior English major and American Studies concentrator at Kenyon College. She is from Alexandria, Virginia and has written for Her Campus since freshman year.