4 Things I Don’t Get the Hype About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

This article may lose me friends and I have come to terms with that, but I can’t keep inside any longer. I have some controversial opinions and I must share them. So without further ado, a brief list of things I don’t care for but everyone else loves:

1. Dogs

I never had a dog growing up, I never really had a normal pet in general. I had a rabbit, a pig, chickens, and two tortoises but my parents didn’t like dogs or cats so we never got one. And so through the process of nurture, I grew to not care for dogs either. I don’t hate them! That would be awful. And I have come across some particularly adorable dogs that I have of course appreciated, but I don’t think that a dog automatically makes everything better and the idea of a dog licking my face quite frankly makes me want to throw up a little. I already shed enough and I don’t need an animal also getting hair all over my belongings. I have entertained the concept of getting a dog when I’m older but it will have to be one that doesn’t shed and shows emotion by nodding appreciatively at me from across the room.

2. Disney Channel Original Movies

High School Musical was great when I was 8. Now? I can’t see past the bad acting and overdone plot points. You’re literally watching the same movie three times but with slightly different songs. I didn’t like Camp Rock when I was younger and I certainly don’t like it now and I still hold that against Demi Lovato. Please just listen closely to the music in these movies, the music is the best part and even that is just awful. I don’t even think I saw all of High School Musical 3 because even when I was 10 I knew that it wasn’t worth it.  I cannot imagine a single scenario in which I would watch a Disney Channel Movie because I had free time. Except maybe Sky High.

3. Nightmare Before Christmas

Arguably the worst halloween or christmas movie ever made. Corpse Bride is so much better. I understand watching the movie and enjoying it but if you have Nightmare Before Christmas merchandise and cite it as one of your favorite movies, I’m worried about you. Not only is it genuinely frightening but people seem to find this fairly popular movie *edgy*. It isn’t. I don’t know maybe I’m just scarred from watching this too young and I’m harboring the hatred from that experience. I do like the Disneyland ride though.

4. Gilmore Girls

I tried and I failed to watch this show multiple times. The acting is awful and just from the first three episodes I could sense the cliche and overused storylines threatening to pour in. I see the appeal, I really do and I don’t blame people for liking it. I just did not find it entertaining and the long episode lengths promised to fill my hours with being bored and staring at a screen detailing pointless plot points for far too many seasons.

I am still the same person I was before you read this article. I know these are unpopular opinions and I ask that you don’t think less of me. I DO ask however that next time we hang out it isn’t a High Musical Marathon with a particularly slobbery dog present.

Source: Feature, 1,2,

Juliana is a writer for Her Campus Kenyon and is a proud Classics major on the Ancient Greek track. When she isn't writing, you can find her practicing softball for the Kenyon Ladies Varsity Softball Team or practicing ballroom dancing. Don't ask how she manages to do all this while learning to translate Ancient Greek because even she doesn't know. Check her out on social media! twitter: @hoolianya25 instagram: @jules.delsante tumblr: callowromantic@tumblr.com
Hannah Joan

Kenyon '18

Hannah is one of the Campus Coordinators for Her Campus Kenyon. She is a Buffalo native and plant enthusiast studying English and Women's and Gender Studies as a junior at Kenyon College.