This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

October is upon us, which means that the best time of year is also upon us—sweater weather. Call me basic, but there’s really nothing I love more in my wardrobe than my sweaters. From cable knit to fisherman, wool to cashmere, light cardigan to heavy pullover, I have the entire spectrum of sweaters at my disposal and I’m not afraid to wear them. Here’s why sweaters are my favorite wardrobe staple:

1. They’re comfortable.

Sweaters are like sweatshirts in this regard—they’re just downright comfortable. On cold winter mornings, there’s nothing better than slipping into your favorite sweater because you know that you’ll be warm all day. Large sweaters, especially, offer maximum comfort and room  and minimal effort in the mornings and few restrictions in movement. Lazy day? Go for your favorite sweater!

2. They look good.

Not only are sweaters comfortable, but they’re effortlessly good looking. You can rock a sweater with anything—jeans, leggings, khakis, skirts—and you’ll look like you put a ton of effort into your look every time. On days when you wake up late and don’t have time for your normal routine, a good sweater can make you class-ready in less than ten seconds.

3. They’re easy.

Sweaters are literally the easiest thing to wear in the fall and winter. One layer of sweater can do the same job as a shirt/jacket combo or a shirt/sweatshirt combo. Who needs a jacket in November when you have a wonderful wool sweater? The four layer dilemma in January is easily remedied by a sweater and a jacket. Quick and simple, sweaters are a go-to when the weather cools off because they’re easier to put on than a million different layers.

4. Even ugly sweaters are acceptable.

The classic “ugly sweater” is something of staple for college students. You can wear that awful sweater with cats in hats on it that your grandma gave you for Christmas that one year and people at college will think it’s cool. When it comes to sweaters, sometimes the uglier, the better. Who needs cashmere when you have dinosaurs with wigs, right?

In short, sweaters are one of the best things to grace our good Earth. So, head to the local GoodWill, raid your father’s closet, and grab a few cable knits for when you’re feeling ~*preppy*~ and throw ‘em on, because for the next six months, it’ll be cold enough to wear them. From my closet to yours, cheers!

Image credits: blog.knittingatlarge.com, yuppee.com, fuckyeahspongebobface.tumblr.com

Sarah Lloyd is a senior History/Art History double major at Kenyon College. In her spare time, she swims for the Kenyon Ladies, works on the Relay For Life Committee, sits on the Senior Class Council, and eats a lot of food.