The 20 Best Disney Side Characters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

These side characters are the comic relief, the trusty sidekicks, and the wise friends of the Disney movies. We all love the princesses, of course, but the characters that help them on their journey are just as lovable. In honor of these sometimes-forgotten characters, here’s a list of all of the best Disney side characters (in no particular order)!

1. Rafiki (The Lion King): A source of endless wisdom and zaniness, this baboon is, without a doubt, a dynamic presence in both The Lion King and its sequel!

2. King Louie (The Jungle Book): Another wacky primate, but instead of spouting wisdom, he just wants to be like humans.

3. Mrs. Potts (Beauty and the Beast): Who doesn’t love Mrs. Potts? She’s the adorable mother-figure of the Beast’s enchanted castle who gets to sing the most iconic song in the movie, “Beauty and the Beast.”

4. Timon & Pumba (The Lion King): What a hilarious pair. Their role as surrogate parents for Simba in his time of need still pulls at my heartstrings even though I’m (technically) an adult. Plus, they sing one of the best songs from the movie, “Hakuna Matata.”

5. Pascal (Tangled): This little chameleon is the ultimate BFF to Rapunzel. He keeps her company throughout her isolated life in the tower, and when Flynn Rider shows up, he’s not afraid to play the tough guy act in order to protect his friend.

6. Jiminy Cricket (Pinocchio): Like Rafiki, Jiminy Cricket is a source of endless wisdom. He’s an iconic Disney character loved by many.

7. Olaf (Frozen): We like warm hugs too!

8. Tinker Bell (Peter Pan): So much sass.

9. Carpet (Aladdin): Speaking of sass, this anthropomorphic magic carpet has tons too. Sidekick to Genie, it not only saves Aladdin’s life, but also is the best wingman for him on his first date with Jasmine.

10. Lumiere (Beauty and the Beast): If only every dinner party we attended had such a musical, suave, and inviting host!

11. Grandmother Willow (Pocahontas): Every girl should have her own personal Grandmother Willow to help guide her on her path to happiness. Pocahontas is one lucky princess!

12. Turk & Tantor (Tarzan): Tarzan’s goofy and loving best friends, a feisty gorilla and a precautious elephant, are such important parts of this movie. Without them, Tarzan would have been much more alone in his unconventional childhood home.

13. Mushu (Mulan): This little guy is a mighty dragon, not a lizard! But most importantly, he’s a loving protector and friend to Mulan.

14. David (Lilo & Stitch): Everyone deserves a friend and significant other as wonderful as David. The poor guy goes through a lot in this movie, but never second-guesses his devotion to Nani. He makes a fantastic father figure for Lilo.

15. Abu (Aladdin): Abu is the comic relief of Aladdin’s life on the streets. Without Abu, Aladdin would have been extremely lonely. He also makes a great partner in crime, assisting Aladdin with stealing food in the market place so both are able to eat.

16. Jaq & Gus (Cinderella): There is no doubt that the two main mice who design and sew Cinderella’s dress and stay by her side as her only friends deserve to be on this list.

17. Timothy Q. Mouse (Dumbo): Another stellar mouse. If you know the movie Dumbo, you know that he is a wonderful friend to the often-made fun of elephant. He is devoted to making Dumbo famous and helping rescue Dumbo mother.

18. Sebastian (The Little Mermaid): Everyone who has seen The Little Mermaid loves this singing crustacean. Even though he extols the benefits of living underwater (“Under the Sea”), when he realizes that being on land with Eric will make Ariel happy, he makes sure to help in any way he can (“Kiss the Girl”).

19. Kronk (The Emperor’s New Groove): He his perhaps the most lovable villain sidekick of any Disney movie. His unassuming, genuine personality is a source of endless annoyance for Yzma, but one of great entertainment for the audience.

20. The Muses (Hercules): What’s not to love about the goddesses of the arts, proclaimers of heroes? These Greek chorus figures are little bit sweet, a little bit sassy, and a whole lot of fabulous!

Although this is a pretty extensive list, there are so many good Disney characters that it’s impossible to include them all. Is your favorite Disney side character not on the list? Let us know who it is in the comments below!

Images: wikia.net, lionking.org, wordpress.com, mentalfloss.com

Class of 2017 at Kenyon College. English major, Music and Math double minor. Hobbies: Reading, Writing, Accidentally singing in public, Eating avocados, Adventure, and Star Wars.