10 Ways to Make the Most of Peirce

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Welcome back, Kenyon Students! First-years—welcome! This is a lovely place, and despite our small student body and campus size, there are plenty of hidden gems and secrets to take advantage of. Peirce Hall, in particular, is a treasure trove of potentially life-changing opportunities. Perhaps you think I’m making scrambled eggs sound like the omelet station, but I promise you’ll thank Her Campus if you try at least one of these 10 tips!

1. NetNutrition

You may have seen the recent emails about this new tool that Peirce has added to their repertoire, but it definitely deserves a spot on this list. This link will lead you to a website where Peirce displays the upcoming meals for the next two days. In addition to the menu, NetNutrition provides extensive nutritional information. It also has these incredible filters that you can add, which can remove any items with specific allergens or display only vegetarian or vegan options.

2. Vegan/Gluten-Free Area

This piece of advice definitely isn’t for everyone, but there are two fridge/freezer combos for vegan and gluten-free students by the International section on the right side. There are also allergen-free panini presses, various cereal options, and a few other tasty, allergen-free items over there. However, if you do eat dairy or gluten, please make sure to save this food for the people who can’t eat the other wonderful options that Peirce offers!

3. Amish Jams and Jellies

This one may seem a little obvious, but I advise you to keep checking the jam and jelly options that are located between the coffee and bread options. Most—if not all—come from the local area, and the flavors vary widely. The blackberry and blueberry are two of my regular go-tos, but the apple butter and cinnamon apple jelly are seasonal favorites that go perfectly on toast, bagels, English muffins, oatmeal, and cookies. Wait, cookies? That last one sounds a bit strange, but a good molasses cookie with a little apple butter is life-changing. I’ve also seen a pineapple-jalapeño jelly, so keep your eyes peeled!

4. Panini Press

Another well-loved Peirce classic, the panini press is a crucial tool. Other college campuses press your sandwiches for you, but Kenyon has given us a golden opportunity here. Not only can you make yourself a toasted sandwich with that perfect melty cheese, but the panini press can also heat up french toast, waffles, and other pre-made sandwiches/bread options. Here’s the real treat, though: you can panini press cookies and brownies. This will bring back that fresh-out-of-the-oven, still-a-little-gooey flavor. I’ve also panini-pressed apples with a little cinnamon before, and it tastes pretty fantastic. Just remember to use the wax paper!

5. The Pre-Made Salads

The salad bar is truly magnificent, but I’m talking about the other salads, the ones that Peirce has pre-made. Sometimes at the short side of the salad bar and often next to the Vegetarian section (demonstrated in the photo below), these tasty treats do all the work for you. Added to your own salad or eaten plain, they provide a little something different—and tasty—to your veggie quota for the day.

6. The Hot Cereal Bar

This new gem debuted just last year during breakfast, and it’ll make anyone a morning person. The soup and sandwich area hosts this customizable oatmeal station, and in addition to the oatmeal, the hot cereal bar often serves a second option: cream of wheat, grits, and fennel have made appearances. But the real kicker is the stuff next to the oatmeal. Granola, maple syrup, brown sugar, chocolate sauce, shredded coconut, cookie crumbles, chocolate chips….the list goes on. There are also dried blueberries, cranberries, pineapple, apricots, and apple rings. (Pro tip: the hot cereal bar can help you make a killer trail mix!) If you prefer more savory grits in the morning, Peirce also provides cheese, salsa, jalapeños, and other similar ingredients.

7. New Coffee

I’m not a coffee drinker, but I’ve been hearing great things about Peirce’s new coffee option! It’s apparently less…aggressive with your digestive tract, and my friends say the taste resembles real coffee! There are also lovely add-ons, like French Vanilla and Hazelnut, and I have a good friend who likes to add a little coffee to her hot chocolate. If you’re not a fan of the taste of coffee, the tea selections are also really great! Grab a snazzy mug and make a cup!

8. Breakfast Pastries (Well, Dessert In General)

If you’re starting to see a breakfast trend here, you’re correct. Your mom probably told you that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so I’ll add my voice to the broken record, too. Peirce has such great options, and the dessert bar is no exception. A few particularly good options include the doughnuts, scones, and local banana and zucchini bread. The muffins are also a classic. These are great for on-the-go breakfast folks who woke up at 7:50 for that 8:10!

9. Plantains

Yes, another breakfast-only option. However, if you are like me and had never tried plantains before coming to Kenyon, this is a must-try. Peirce fries them to bring out the sweetness, adding a crunchy outside and a warm, gooey inside to this lovely treat. I recommend them with a little cinnamon on top. They are absolutely fantastic.

10. Try Something New!

This list could extend for at least six more items, but I don’t want to give all of Peirce’s secrets away. Explore a little bit! If you’re uninspired by Comfort or International or don’t want to wait in line, try Vegetarian or one of the two soups Peirce provides every day! Use those spices on the rack near the ketchup to add some unique flavor! Mix cereals! Sit on a different side! Go nuts (but don’t take peanut butter into the servery)!

If you’re bored with the same old salad, sandwich, or burger, Peirce has given you an opportunity to customize your meal: you just have to look a little harder to do it. Step out of those mile-long lines (another Pro Tip: arrive a little before noon or closer to 12:30 to avoid most of the lunch rush) and explore a little. It’ll be worth it if you try!

Photos: Feature1, Writer’s Own

Taylor is a junior Anthropology and English double major from Charlotte, North Carolina. This is her second year writing for Her Campus Kenyon. When she isn't studying, eating, sleeping, running, or working at the circulation desk at the library, she is probably reading or writing. Taylor also runs on the Cross Country and Track teams and goes to bed abnormally early. She also eats a fluffernutter sandwich every Friday.
Hannah Joan

Kenyon '18

Hannah is one of the Campus Coordinators for Her Campus Kenyon. She is a Buffalo native and plant enthusiast studying English and Women's and Gender Studies as a junior at Kenyon College.