10 Reasons Why Leggings are the Best

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

If you have ever met me, you would know about my obsession with wearing leggings instead of real pants. Real pants are classified as anything other than leggings such as jeans, trousers, shorts, or khakis. Maybe it’s because I used to be an athlete, maybe I’m just lazy, maybe it’s because I have a new obsession with yoga, but I honestly do not enjoy wearing real pants. My mom nags me about this nearly everyday I’m home, so I have composed a list for her, and for anyone else who disagrees with my opinion, as to why leggings are the best.

1. Comfort

Leggings are made with a sort of stretchy, soft material that wraps tightly around the legs. They are very lightweight, making them seem as if you weren’t wearing any pants. Additionally, they are extremely flexible and allow you to move freely without feeling constricted.

2. They Go with Everything

This is probably the most important perk of wearing leggings. Given that most pairs of leggings come in the color black, it is easy to quickly throw on a pair and wear it with any shirt. Whether it’s an athletic tank top or a silky blouse, leggings will easily match.

3. Perfect for the Ultimate Lazy Girl

Let’s be honest, not every college girl enjoys waking up earlier than they need to in order to look good for class; it is too much effort. With leggings, you can quickly slide them on and wear a shirt and be on your merry way out the door while still looking semi-stylish.

4. Working out

If you are like me and love a good workout, I highly recommend investing in a pair of Nike leggings. I swear by them. Not only are they cute, but they actually stay on and don’t slip. It makes working out a lot easier when you don’t need to spend every five minutes pulling your pants up. Moreover, leggings are very breathable and soak up some sweat so your legs won’t be a sweaty mess afterward (I know that sounds gross, but it’s a fact)!

5. They Make Everyone’s Legs Look Amazing

Enough said, it’s a fact.

6. Many Colors, Many Styles   

Anyone can go into a store, Nordstrom for example, and buy a pair of jeans that you can easily find at any other store such as Macy’s. However, while there are many places that sell leggings, there are so many different colors and styles that no matter which store you go to you can find ones that are unique.

7. Weather Efficient

Rain or shine, leggings are the way to go. Also, they are perfect for spring, fall, and winter. They can be worn in the summer too if you live somewhere that does not get too hot.

8. They Stretch! (Perfect for That Freshman 15 and Sophomore 30)

Everyone knows that when you go to college, you gain a little bit of weight (maybe go up a waist size, sorry mom) throughout the year. Lucky for you, instead of buying a new pair of jeans, you can wear your leggings instead since they are super stretchy and can stretch around a newfound muffin top.

9. Can be Disguised as Pants Through the Wonderful Invention of Jeggings

I love jeggings. They are the comfiest “jean” I have ever purchased. Why you may wonder? Because they are leggings disguised as jeans, meaning I can seem as though I have real pants on, but in reality, I don’t.

10. Perfect for Almost Every Occasion    

Whether you’re going out to a party or going to chill with some friends or studying at the library, leggings are the perfect pant option if you want to stay comfy. They are extremely versatile and stylish, making them a good option of clothing every day.

I rest my case, leggings are far superior to real pants. They can be worn for almost any occasion no matter what mood you’re in. They can be dressed up or down, can be worn to your favorite Zumba class, or to a regular class. Overall, leggings are the perfect pair of pants for women everywhere.

Image Credit: Feature, 1, 2, 3

Anushka is a hopeful (undeclared) Pscyhlogy or Economics major. She is a sophomore at Kenyon College, and while she's not working hard in school, she can be found admiring memes and cute dogs. Anushka is from Seattle, Washington and loves spending time with her friends and hiking the many mountains of the Pacific Northwest.
Hannah Joan

Kenyon '18

Hannah is one of the Campus Coordinators for Her Campus Kenyon. She is a Buffalo native and plant enthusiast studying English and Women's and Gender Studies as a junior at Kenyon College.