Writing is the best form of therapy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

There are many different ways to help you deal with stress, anger and any other emotions you might have. I personally prefer writing. I like it because it is a way for me to express my emotions and feelings in a private manner where I can say and write whatever I want. For me, writing means it’s real and almost permanent in a way because your words, and healing, will stay permanent unless you choose delete or shred them. You can write what you actually wanted to say to someone when you held your tongue to avoid a fight. Ultimately when I write, I feel as if a weight has been lifted off my shoulders because I get everything I need off my chest although no one reads it. My mind is cleared and I can continue with whatever it is that I was doing.

Writing can help you sort through your thoughts and feelings. It can lead to key insights and a better understanding of yourself. It allows you to look back and know exactly who you were during a specific moment in time. Writing allows you to explore your true fears and worries, while also allowing you to relive some of your fondest memories. If you write often, you begin to understand your mind and spirit. You expose your desires, wants, needs and fantasies. By diving into your soul like this, you grow to understand what you need and want in 

When writing, you may feel as if your thoughts are too scary to explore. This fear can prohibit you from acknowledging those thoughts and can, in turn, keep emotions bottled up and unexpressed. Write them down anyways because they can lead you to write something magical, like maybe a book.  

Writing is an amazing way to collect your thoughts and understand who you are. You don’t have to be a professional writer, author or journalist to write. Just do it and trust the power of the pen. Writing allows you to pass the time on a long car ride. It allows you to reflect on the community service you did because service without reflection is like eating without digestion. Also it allows you to remember your travels; the places you went, the food you ate and the people you met. Writing allows you to stay in touch with your senses. 

If I could leave you with one simple piece of advice, it would be to write anything and everything. Your thoughts will lead you to unexplored areas you never imagined. It’s a perfect outlet to showcase your personal private thoughts.   

Pop culture enthusiast, adventure seeker, lover of all things purple and an expert on Marilyn Monroe.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.