This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

The summer is quickly approaching. Three months of sun, warmth (hopefully) and freedom. No responsibility, no homework due; this is time to kick back and relax. Whether you are going on vacation, interning, working or just lounging around, there are a few things that your closet needs this summer.

A cold shoulder or off the shoulder top

From Coachella to your backyard, cold shoulders are all the rage this summer. Whether the pieces are flowy or fitted, crop tops or dresses, everyone who’s anyone is bareing their shoulders. This style is a perfect compromise between wearing a top that has sleeves or is sleeveless. Summer style is all about comfort and light weight fabrics, which is why this boho style top is a must-have for this summer season. For more ways to style this look check out this article on Her Campus Kent State’s favorite Coachella trend

A large tote bag

When I think of a tote bag, the first thing that comes to mind is Kate Spade. Kate Spade has been on top of the tote bag game for as long as I can remember, and it’s obvious why. A tote bag is the most efficient, fashionable way to carry around everything you’ll need for the day and then some. You never know where the day will take you. Whether it’s just to work or to the beach, your handy tote can carry everything you need.

Don’t want to drop close to $300 on a tote bag? Check out this bag that is almost identical to the Kate Spade version. It’s only $48! Another great place to find a summer tote is Target!

A pair of lace up flats

Part gladiator, part ballerina: lace up flats are the must-have shoe this season. Not only do they look good dressed up or dressed down, they are also super comfortable. They come in many different colors, fabrics and designs, but the overall concept is the same. For inspiration on how to wear this fashionable shoes check out this article from Her Campus Kent State. 

A statement romper

Putting on a top and bottoms can be such a struggle, and sometimes you’re not in the mood to bare it all in a skirt or dress. A romper is your perfect solution! It’s wearing shorts and a top without having to put them on separately. Rompers sometimes get a bad rap because people think they are made for children, however, the world of rompers has come a long way. Now you can find one for any occasion, fancy or casual. All you have to do is pick the one that’s right for you!

Anything in your favorite Pantone color for this season

Every season, the all hailing color gods, also known as Pantone, decide which colors will be hot and which are not. This summers’ list consists of: Rose Quartz, Peach Echo, Serenity, Snorkel Blue, Buttercup, Limpet Shell, Fiesta, Iced Coffee, Green Flash and Lilac Gray. You may think that these are just any blue, red, pink or green, but no. Each shade has a meaning behind it and a number to go along with it. Pick your favorite and run with it! Any accessory, garment or shoe in the color you love will make the people at Pantone very proud.

Sammy Pesick is a Senior Fashion Merchandising major at Kent State University with minors in Fashion Media and Marketing. She has a passion for food and a weakness for designer purses while polka dots are her aesthetic. Sammy is currently the President and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Kent State where she strives to share her love of Her Campus with the Kent State community.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.