This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Ballet flats have been a staple in female wardrobes since the 16th century. Recently, this simple shoe has received an updated, fashion-forward look. Lace-up ballet flats are the latest and greatest piece in the world of flat shoes. They have the same shell as pointed toe flats; the difference is that the back of the shoe extends up the ankle where laces can be tied in different variations like up the leg or simply around the ankle.

In the past year, this trendy shoe style has exploded in the world of fashion, appearing on celebrities, fashion bloggers and street-style icons. The stylish women rocking this trend have worn their lace-up flats in a variety of ways. Whether you’re pairing the flats with ripped jeans and a chunky turtleneck for a trip to the mall; or with a dress for a work–appropriate, yet fashion forward look, these extremely versatile flats are excellent for all seasons.

I drew some inspiration from Pinterest and created three outfits featuring lace-up flats for the spring season. Here’s what I came up with:

1) A casual weekend look 

Ditch your typical weekend uniform of yoga pants and sweatshirts for distressed jeans, feminine flowy top, panama hat, delicate necklace, leather tote and nude lace-up flats

This outfit can be worn to brunch or places like the farmers market or the mall.

2) A work appropriate look

As warmer weather approaches, it’s time to bust out the tank tops, colorful statement necklaces, black lace up flats and ankle crop pants

This business-casual outfit can be taken from a day in the office, to drinks and dinner with friends.

3) An evening look

A little black dress never goes out of style. But update with a black skort romper and ditch the painful heels for black lace up flats and quilted cross body bag for a night on the town with your girlfriends. 

Be sure to share your ballet flat looks with us on Instagram

Erin Radue

Kent State

Lover of salted carmel lattes, turtlenecks, and Cavalier King Charles Spaniels  |  Just a Minnesota girl dreaming of the Big Apple  
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.