This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

This will not be a normal holiday season.  You may not see your family for Thanksgiving, attend Christmas concerts or see crowds in Times Square for New Years, but that doesn’t mean that the holiday season has to be canceled.  Although hopefully by sometime in 2021 the pandemic will be over, here are my suggestions on how to make the best out of a Covid Christmas.

Spend quality time with your immediate family

Just because you may not be able to see extended family, doesn’t mean family holidays have to be canceled. Use this time to reconnect with your siblings and parents after a hectic fall.

Have a Zoom Thanksgiving

I know we’re all sick of Zoom classes, but it’s a great way to feel close to family when you have miles between you.

Watch Christmas movies

I personally never get through watching all of the Christmas movies I intend to during hectic holiday seasons. Now is the perfect time to make some popcorn and hot cocoa and have a Christmas movie marathon.

Make LOTS of Christmas cookies

Gather up your family, put on some elastic pants and bake some homemade goodies!

Listen to Christmas music

If you’re like me, start now and don’t stop until 2021.

Read a book

Nothing gets me in the Christmas spirit like A Christmas Carol.

Do a puzzle

Preferably something holiday-related.

Practice your wrapping skills

Your family will be shocked when they see your gorgeous presents during Hanukkah, Kwanza or Christmas!

Have a safe and healthy holiday season. 

Emma Traynor

Kent State '24

Emma is a Fashion Merchandising and Communication Studies double major with a minor in Sustainability at Kent State University. She previously attended cosmetology school in her hometown of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, getting the opportunity to do hair and makeup for numerous local fashion shows as well as certifications in eyelash and hair extensions. When she's not working on her studies, you can find her traveling, painting, thrifting, hanging out with friends or her dog, Rosie.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.