This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Students go into college with a preconceived notion that it will be the greatest four years of their lives, filled with parties, new friends and minimal work. Anyone that is in college, or has graduated, knows that while there are highlights and fun times, college can also be one of the most stressful experiences. How, amidst all the stress and anxiety, can a busy college student find a little peace?

Mindfulness.

Mindfulness is not just sitting cross legged in a garden humming with closed eyes. In fact, that doesn’t skim the surface of what mindfulness really is. Psychology Today defines mindfulness as “a state of active, open attention on the present.” Mindfulness is not a religion or philosophy; it’s a way of being with many benefits.

Many college students live on erratic schedules. They often aren’t getting enough sleep. They find themselves distracted by electronics and social media, and they develop unhealthy eating habits. All of these negative habits often seem unavoidable and can lead to heightened stress and anxiety. Mindfulness is a simple way to help combat those issues. Practicing mindfulness for even 10 minutes a day not only helps you to feel less stressed, but it also lowers the levels of the stress hormone cortisol. In addition, it can help improve grades, control emotion, fight depression, improve quality of sleep and strengthen the immune system.

For the college student on the go with an 8 a.m. class, club meetings, work and plans with friends, when is there time to practice mindfulness? One of the best times is the morning. Even if you can only set aside five minutes, it can benefit you for the rest of the day. By practicing mindfulness first thing in the morning, the mind and body have a chance to connect and start the day with focus and calmness. Mindfulness is something that can also be practiced anytime, anywhere. Every action throughout the day is an opportunity to practice mindfulness by simply living in the present.

You’ve found the time, but now what? It may seem daunting at first, or maybe boring and tedious, but it is a simple and enjoyable practice to get in the habit of. To start, get in a comfortable position, whether that is sitting, standing or lying down.

Next, focus on your breath. Concentrate on filling up not just the chest, but the stomach and the entire body, too. Breathe in through the nose and out through the mouth. Focus solely on how it feels, but if your mind wanders, it’s ok. The purpose of mindfulness to connect the mind and body.

Be aware of how the body feels, but understand that at the moment nothing needs to be done about it. If the stomach growls, if there’s an itch, whatever it may be, just make note of it. If there are noises around you, that is okay, too. It’s important to be aware of your surroundings. What do the noises sound like? Be aware of what the chair feels like, or focus on the ground beneath your feet. Mindfulness allows the body to really utilize all of its senses.

Practicing mindfulness without a guide can be difficult at first, but there are great resources out there to get you started. Headspace is an app that has guided sessions, perfect for anyone either starting on mindfulness, or those who have done it for awhile. There are other apps such as Calm, Mindfulness Training and Stop, Breathe, & Think. Downloading apps such as these are great resources to utilize because they are guided, which helps you to focus on the task at hand. They also can be used anywhere, which is convenient for college students.

With finals week rapidly approaching and the hunt for internships becoming more intense, a chance to destress and gain some focus is essential. Take some time to unwind and practice mindfulness. Remember, in through the nose, out through the mouth…

Hi! My name is Sarah Waite and I am a sophomore Fashion Design and Pre-Law student. I love writing, sewing, crafting, and hanging with friends. Pinterest and Instagram addict!
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.