etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Make Your Spring Break Tan Last

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Unfortunately, Spring Break is over and classes have resumed. With finals coming up quickly, you may not be able to keep the carefree attitude you adopted for spring break. Great news, there is one thing that can be preserved from spring break: your tan!

Tanning in a bed might feel good in the moment, but it comes with some pretty big risks. According to the Center for Disease Control, “People who begin tanning younger than age 35 have a 59% higher risk of melanoma.” In addition to this, it leads to premature wrinkles and often leaves a person smelling bad right after a session. There are some safe, easy, and inexpensive ways to preserve your natural tan.

The most important thing is to moisturize. You should start this before you even get home. Sun and salt water can easily dehydrate your skin. The more hydrated your skin is, the longer it will hold a tan. Apply lotion at least twice a day, making sure one application is post shower when your pores are open. 

Next, bronzer (in moderation) can be your best friend. Bronzer is normally used on the face but can also be used to highlight other parts of the body, like arms, chest, and legs. Make sure not to use too much, no one wants to look orange!

Eventually, your tan will begin to fade. When this happens mix small amounts of self-tanner into your lotion. This will prevent you from looking streaky and will nix the self tanner scent. Start with small amounts and gradually add more self tanner. The amount you add determines how tan you will look so as your natural tan fades, add more self tanner to the lotion. Use these tips to safely preserve your tan as long as possible!

Sarah Cahn

Kent State

Ciao! My name is Sarah and I am a graduate student working towards my MBA. I graduated from Kent in May with a degree in Fashion Merchandising. I am a gluten free world traveler, wine lover, and Olsen enthusiast.