This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

A change of seasons brings new weather, new festivities and, of course, new outfits. Everyone has been patiently waiting to swap sweaters and winter boots for something lighter and with spring finally here, it’s time. But as college students, purchasing an entirely new wardrobe for the season isn’t the most practical option. How can you refresh your closet for spring without emptying your bank account?

Don’t worry– we’ve mastered the art of wardrobe alteration. A few simple steps can ensure you look your best for the new season. Keep reading if you’d like to start spring off on the right foot- and hopefully in cute shoes.

Purge Your Closet

Dedicate some time to Marie Kondo-ing your clothes; try on every piece and donate what you don’t love to wear anymore. Rule of thumb: if you haven’t worn it in six months, you probably won’t wear it again. This is helpful for both making room for new clothes and spotting what your closet is missing.

Edit What You Have

Everyone has that one pair of pants they bought despite not fitting, using the excuse “I’ll get them tailored.” Use a new season as a reason to finally get around to cutting, hemming and stitching what you’ve been putting off. When all else fails, try DIY-ing your clothes to get new pieces without spending a single dollar.

Stock Up On Basics

Pieces like plain white tees, jeans and tennis sneakers are the foundation of everyone’s closet. Make sure you have these staples on hand because they can be paired with trendy items and accessories to create a look.

Buy New Trends

The best way to instantly switch up your look for spring is to buy this season’s trends. Since you’ve sorted through what you already own, you’re ready to fill in what you’re missing. Shop spring trends like blazers, neon and lingerie-inspired tops to update your style.

Now that you’re prepared to adapt your closet for spring, make sure to tag @hckentstate in your latest fit pictures. 

Sarah is a fashion merchandising major with a minor in fashion media at Kent State University. A New Jersey native, she relocated to Ohio to study at KSU. She is also a web writer for A Magazine and The Burr Magazine, as well as a community member of CollegeFashionista. When she isn't writing or studying, you can find Sarah online shopping, chugging coffee or watching horror flicks.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.