Anna Schultz-Patches On Jean Jacket
Anna Schultz-Patches On Jean Jacket
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Style

A Comprehensive Guide to DIY-ing Your Closet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

It’s easy to fall into the routine of purchasing new clothes whenever your old ones begin to bore you. Thanks to fast fashion, this process is more streamlined and convenient than ever. Any pair of stained jeans or faded tee shirts can be swiftly replaced with a trip to the mall or the click of a mouse. But extending the lifespan of a garment not only helps reduce landfill waste, but it also prevents additional pollution that occurs during apparel production. While repairing torn and distressed clothing is a great way to make your favorite piece last longer, another option is updating it. 

DIY-ing your wardrobe is not only good for the environment and your wallet, but it’s a fun and creative way to mix up your style. By embellishing a garment, you gift yourself a whole new piece without actually purchasing anything. Keep reading if you’re interested in giving your closet a DIY makeover.

Painted Denim

Any pair of jeans or denim jackets can be renewed with a bottle of paint and a brush. Pick out a design and make your clothes your canvas. 

Distressing

Add some character to your well-loved clothes. When signs of wear set in, create some intentional wear and tear with holes and tears to make everyone think you bought it that way.

Embroidery

If you’re good with a sewing needle, try this more advanced DIY trick. Embroider a small icon or word onto anything in your closet lacking personality. 

Cut-Outs

Repurpose your denim by stenciling out some shapes and cutting them out. Now, you have a pair of statement pants instead of a staple pair of jeans! 

Tye-Dye

While we’ve all tye-dyed a tee or two in our childhood, the trend has come back in recent years. Make a statement piece out of your old white tee.

When in Doubt- Crop It

The easiest way to make an item look like a new purchase is to crop it. Turn jeans into shorts or an oversized band tee into a going-out top with a pair of scissors in less than two minutes.

By DIY-ing your closet, you can help the environment while creating your next favorite piece. Make sure to tag @hckentstate if you try any of these out. Happy DIY-ing!

Sarah is a fashion merchandising major with a minor in fashion media at Kent State University. A New Jersey native, she relocated to Ohio to study at KSU. She is also a web writer for A Magazine and The Burr Magazine, as well as a community member of CollegeFashionista. When she isn't writing or studying, you can find Sarah online shopping, chugging coffee or watching horror flicks.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.