Wellness

How to Survive the Flu at the Start of the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

The worse part about going back to school is that everyone comes back with viruses, and they spread fast. I am one of many that has caught this unfortunate virus and now I’m trying to get better before my birthday this week. Here are some helpful tips to healing fast and getting back to normal.

Book it to your nearest pharmacy

Stock up on the antibiotics you need in order to get your health back. The sooner you start taking cold and flu medicine, the sooner you will get to feeling better.

Sleep

Being college students, we tend to stay up late doing whatever it is we do. So, save yourself the trouble and get to bed sooner than usual. A goodnight’s rest will help you get back to being you in no time.

Stay hydrated

Drink plenty of H2O! Keeping your body hydrated is a simple way to stay healthy, and it will keep those headaches away.

Take a caffeine break and drink tea

Not going to lie, this was a struggle for me with being a coffee addict and all. Herbal teas can help boost your immune system, plus they soothe sore throats.

Stop talking

If you’re like me, you get sore throats easily and lose your voice. Save your vocal cords and stop talking. No matter how difficult this may be, you will get your voice back soon enough. (I definitely fail when it comes to this tip.)

Avoid human life

You are a walking contagious virus. Avoid big crowds and cover your coughs. Save your peers the pain of being sick.

Stop stressing

Stress is a killer, especially when you’re sick. Do things that relax you and avoid stress. This will help you feel better in no time.

Take my advice and try these tips. They will work, and you will be better in no time! Hopefully you will be fortunate enough to avoid getting sick on your birthday week.  

Shelbie studies journalism at Kent State University, while also concentrating in fashion media and writing. She’s a true coffee addict and enthusiast. You can easily find her at a local coffee shop or the campus library. Her career goals include working within the publishing industry, becoming a travel writer and voicing the voiceless in her work. She’s excited to work with Her Campus and see what’s in store for the Kent State chapter.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.