How to Eat “Real Food” in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Unlike most other college students, I try to avoid Ramen noodles at all costs. The last thing I want is a bowl of processed, artificial soup with astronomical amounts of sodium. Over the past six months, I’ve become obsessed with eating clean, unprocessed, “real” food. Our bodies were not meant to consume all these chemicals and genetically modified foods. Not only will you feel better, but you’ll probably drop a few pounds too! Here are a few things that have worked for me this semester.

The Fridge: I try to keep my fridge stocked with fruits, veggies, egg whites, lean meats and Greek yogurt at all times. Avoid keeping prepackaged foods in the freezer. While they may be quick and easy to heat up, they aren’t very good for you and won’t give your body the energy it needs. I use my freezer only to store meat and leftovers, which brings me to my next point:

MEAL PREP: I know you’ve probably heard this a million times, but prepping meals in advance really is the most effective way to eat healthy and avoid the temptations of fast, junky food. It can be so time-consuming to cook an actual meal, but just cooking one to two nights a week can provide you with leftovers to last for days to come. Even having a container of grilled chicken in your fridge can help you put together a salad in under five minutes.

Find a Signature: I’ve found that there are certain foods that are quick for me to prepare that I always like to have on hand. Right now I’m loving quinoa (cooked in chicken broth) and homemade steak fries (coated with olive oil and sprinkled with salt and rosemary). These are both “meal completers” for me and can double as healthy snacks.

Snacking: Your pantry can be a dangerous place. It’s tempting to buy processed snack foods, but stick with things like apples and almonds that you can easily take with you at a moment’s notice. I’ve made my own trail mix this semester to snack on between classes; mix your favorite nuts, dried fruits, and some chocolate chips together to satisfy your sweet tooth.

Hate Vegetables? So do I.  But what I’ve discovered lately is that if I find the right recipes, vegetables really aren’t that bad. My latest way to trick myself into eating them is this Curried Cauliflower Soup. The recipe is super easy and surprisingly filling! I added chicken into mine for a little extra protein.

Really Have no Time? Try Blue Apron! Not gonna lie: this company has changed my life and I don’t even have a subscription. A friend introduced me to them a few weeks ago, and it has really helped motivate me to eat better. For a flat fee, you get a box of groceries with the accompanying healthy recipes shipped to your apartment every week. Being a picky eater, some of the recipes sounded weird and kind of gross to me at first, but I actually really enjoyed the Blue Apron meals my friend cooked for us! The best part is, you can access all their recipes online for free, even if you don’t have a subscription.

These are not hard and fast rules, just things that have worked for me this semester. Don’t be afraid to indulge! In the words of Gigi Hadid, “Eat clean to stay fit. Have a burger to stay sane.” Or a bowl of Ramen…

(On meal plan? I’ve got you covered. Look out for an article aimed at you soon!)

Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.