This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

With the tundras of winter fast approaching it’s time to leave the lighter layers of summer and fall behind and break out the puffy coats, blanket scarves and snow boots. However, just because our wardrobe looks have to change according to the season, doesn’t mean our skin does. With a little extra care, skin can fight the dry air and still keep that luminous and healthy looking summer glow all year long. Here are some tricks for seasonal dry skin sufferers out there to help it do just that.

Stay Hydrated

One of the best, easiest and most natural ways to help your skin look healthy and moisturized this winter is to simply drink more water. I’ll admit water is almost never my first choice of beverage, I mean seriously I’m pretty convinced sugary drinks will be my ultimate demise, however, the benefits of drinking water really are fantastic, not only does it keep your skin hydrated, but it also flushes out toxins to help clear up acne. There are some great products out there that help keep your water drinking on track such as a water bottle that marks how much you should be drinking per hour and even apps that remind you throughout the day to keep chugging!

Stay AWAY from Mattes

Mattes are the mortal enemy of dry skin sufferers and should be avoided at almost all costs during winter seasons. Any dry patches of skin will be immediately emphasized by placing a matte on top, something I have learned the hard way. Instead, go for more illuminating foundations with dewy finishes or even ones that have a satin finish vs a straight mattifying formula. There are even radiance drops and mixes that can be worn alone or added to any foundation you already own to give it that extra summer glow. Here is a quick list of some of my favorite non-drying products.

1. L’Oreal True Match Lumi Foundation

2. Maybelline Fit Me Dewy Smooth Foundation  

3. Tarte Rainforest of the Sea Radiance Drops

4. L’Oreal True Match Lumi Glotion

5. NYX Dewy Finish Setting Spray

Stay Moisturized

I mean this is probably a pretty obvious one, but still very important and it is important to know when to apply it. Before moisturizing at night I would recommend using an exfoliating face wash in order to scrub off the dead dry skin. Once done washing your face don’t wait, apply a moisturizer directly afterward to give your skin the best hydration results. It is also helpful to apply a lighter moisturizer meant for daytime wear in the morning, either by itself or under your makeup and even try some hydrating face masks.

Don’t Forget About Your Lips!

If you have dry skin, odds are your lips are suffering from dry spells as well. It is seriously the worst when all you want to do is wear a cute lipstick but dead dry skin flakes decide to ruin the look, not to mention chapped lips can get pretty painful as well. Something I like to do is use a lip scrub before bed then apply Vaseline and let it sit overnight. This helps lips stay smooth and comfortable once you wake up and go throughout the day. Before wearing a lipstick it helps to use a lip scrub right before application to remove all excess skin. Then, apply a light layer of chapstick on top, and you have the perfect smooth base for your lipstick.  

P.S. I would recommend a Jeffree Star lip scrub, they’re not too expensive and there are so many delicious flavors to choose from!

So if you’re anything like me and your skin starts to look like some sort of reptile once winter rolls around, try some of these skincare methods to keep a little piece of summer with you all season long. 

Amanda Vogt is a sophomore at Kent State University and is from the suburbs of Rochester New York. Her studies include a major in fashion merchandising as well as a minor in creative writing. She has always loved writing and used to spend her days in math and science class coming up with short stories instead of calculating numbers. She is also an avid lover of all things fashion and makeup related and has been interested in the industry ever since she was little. She hopes to live in a big city after college with an unhealthy amount of dogs.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.