This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

The basic idea of manifestation is that we can bring something into our lives by believing it. This is similar to the law of attraction, a philosophy suggesting that our thoughts shape our lives, i.e. positive thoughts equal positive lives while negative thoughts equal negative lives. Manifestation is said to be able to attract not only happiness, but relationships, money and success (which of course, all can affect our overall happiness).

Part of what makes manifestation such a powerful tool is the focus it brings to the things we want most in life. No goal was ever achieved without focus. Manifesting, or focusing on the person we want to be and the life we want to live, helps us to act in a way that reflects not who we are or where we are now, but who and where we want to be. We’ve all heard the old saying, “dress for the job you want, not the job you have.” This is an example of manifestation in its most basic form. Imagine if you started showing up every day as the person you aspire to be, rather than dreaming of “one day.” Make today that day!

woman smiling at reflection in mirror
Photo by Andrea Piacquadio from Pexels

It’s not just wishful thinking, and certainly not toxic positivity. A person who practices manifestation in their lives acknowledges there will always be good and bad but knows that we filter our reality through our mindset. With this knowledge, they’re able to live their life in an intentional way, thus choosing who they want to be. Your life is entirely in your hands, so revel in the power you hold.

In her New York Times bestseller Eat, Pray, Love, author Elizabeth Gilbert says, “you have to participate relentlessly in the manifestation of your own blessings,” and it couldn’t be any more true.

There’s a whole rabbit hole to go down when it comes to manifestation (and truthfully, I suggest you dive deep! Do some research!) but the simplest way to begin manifesting is by practicing daily affirmations. For example, “I am happy. I am becoming more myself each day. I am beautiful inside and out. I am at peace.”

Of course, when it comes to affirmations, you’ll need to think about what truly resonates with you, your goals and your desires, rather than just copying some generic thing you find off the internet (like the example I gave above… it works for me, but you do you). Once you narrow in on your affirmations, say them to yourself out loud at least once a day, write them in a journal, or maybe even write them on your bathroom mirror where you’ll see them each morning. If you’re a creative, consider making a vision board of what you want to manifest.

person writing outside in notebook
Photo by StockSnap from Pixabay

Philosopher Ralph Waldo Emerson said, “a person is what he or she thinks about all day long.” Through methods like verbal affirmations or vision boards, we can manifest ourselves and our lives into what we desire. Begin these practices and watch in awe as at first your mindset, and then your life, begin to change for the better.

Happy manifesting!  

Caroline is a senior fashion merchandising major with a minor in business. She loves being apart of the Her Campus editorial team at Kent State! Fashion is her passion but her other interests include cooking, wine, yoga, reading, sustainability, and animals -especially her fur babies Sophia Lucia and Zara Bella, and yes, she knows their names are extra but she loves to be extra. Click the links below to keep up with her on Instagram and Twitter! Questions? Comments? Email her! cwebst11@kent.edu
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.