This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Frat parties not really your thing? Bored of going to the same parties? Here are a few of my suggestions for mixing it up this Halloween season!  

1. The Peach Pit

Not many people are aware of the DIY music scene in the Akron and Kent area. DIY, or Do It Yourself, bands are bands who write, record, promote and perform their music all on their own, usually at venues which are homes that are owned and operated by those that live there. We lost a Kent venue at the end of last year, but there are plenty in Akron and new ones popping up all the time. A new venue recently opened called The Peach Pit in the Ellet area of Akron that will be hosting a Halloween House Show on October 27th. The show will be featuring bands such as The Standby from Erie, Dive from Pittsburgh (pictured below), Perfect Girl and Method from Akron, and Skeleton Drive from right here in Kent! DIY shows are always a super great environment if you like chill people and local music. The Peach Pit is asking only for $5 donations at the door, and that you wear a Halloween costume! For more info on this show, check out the Facebook event here.

2. The Rocky Horror Picture Show

If you haven’t checked out The Rocky Horror Picture Show at The Kent Stage, Halloween is the perfect time! This Friday, October 19, is the special Halloween showing of the Rocky Horror Picture Show, a quirky 70s movie cult classic with local “School of Rocky” actors performing in front of the screen with audience participation. Plus, if you dress in costume you get a discount on your ticket! You can find more info on this event here.

3. Girls Night In

Not feeling like going out at all? Nothing’s better than a girls night in! Head on over to Walmart, grab some super comfy onesies for cute easy costumes, some Pillsbury Halloween cookies, a classic Halloween horror movie and maybe even some ingredients for a Halloween cocktail or two! Thanks to HGTV.com, here’s some Halloween cocktail recipes and some cute easy crafts.

Whatever you choose to do this year, be safe, and Happy Halloween!

Lindsay Adams

Kent State '21

I am a sophomore student from Columbus, Ohio. I am double majoring in Criminology and Paralegal Studies. I am also a member of the University Pep Band "Flasher Brass." I love watching sitcoms, playing video games, every product ever made by LUSH, and hanging out with my friends here at Kent State.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.