This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

With the change in weather comes the fluctuation of emotions. Seasonal affective disorder (SAD), more commonly referred to as “winter blues,” occurs in climates where there is less sunlight at certain times of the year, resulting in mood swings. Listed below are eight ways to decrease the effect of these big emotions.

1. Self Care

Everyone loves a good spa day, but it can be hard to put yourself first when there are a million other things occurring. Mental, psychological and physical health are all interwoven. Do a quick face mask, brush your teeth, wash clothes or do anything that can make you feel better.

2. Get some fresh air

The cold weather is off-putting for a lot of people, but it is proven that going outside is extremely beneficial for your health. Even if it just is going to grab your packages from the mailbox, make sure to have a second to take a deep breath of that crisp air and exhale.

3. spend time with loved ones

Spending some quality time with friends and family can not only increase your happiness but can boost motivation, decrease stress and increase your mental health. Go and schedule a facetime or plan a meet-up with someone you care about!

4. Find New Hobbies

Being stuck inside during the cold weather can be lonely and isolating. To keep yourself occupied, try to find some hobbies! Crafting, baking, blogging, gardening, meditation, working out and even starting a new collection (I collect salt & pepper shakers!) can stimulate your mind and keep you busy.

5. Eat a healthy diet

Oatmeal, bananas, yogurt, eggs, chicken, kale, carrots, nuts and beans are some foods that boost energy and promote overall health. Eating a well-balanced diet can leave you feeling more refreshed for your day.

6. Balance your sleep cycle

Sleep is your body’s charger. It is extremely easy during the cold dark months to want to stay in bed and get a few more zzzs. However, regulating your sleep cycle prevents you from sleeping too much which can cause headaches, loss of focus and depression. *Tip*: Creating a bedtime routine/schedule can be helpful to keep your circadian rhythm in check.

7. Exercise

Bundle up for a walk, or choose to have an indoor workout session! There are endless resources online that provide workout plans that are easy to follow! Experts recommend having at least 30 minutes of moderate physical activity daily.

8. Seek Treatment

Emotions are big, interwoven and complex. Sometimes we need to talk to someone else, and that’s normal. As someone who is actively getting treatment, I couldn’t recommend it more. Resources on where to find mental health services specifically at Kent State University, and in general, are below.

https://www.kent.edu/mhsu/help

https://www.cdc.gov/mentalhealth/index.htm

Ally Greco

Kent State '24

Heya! My name is Ally. As a recent transfer student to Kent University, I want to share my experiences, thoughts, and passions. I am a 3rd year majoring in Psychology- hence the mental health articles. I have an orange cat named Pumpkin who is five years old.