Anna Schultz-Black And White Girl From Behind
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Wellness

6 Ways to Feel Less Lonely in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

College is a really great time in your life. You get to meet lots of new people, experience living on your own and study what you’re passionate about. It can be hard, though…it’s a new environment with lots of new people and that can seem overwhelming. On top of that, add the pressure of school and money, and you can start to feel really lonely. Here are some ways to feel better or to cope with that loneliness.

Take a nap 

Sometimes an easy way to feel better is to just take an hour or two nap. It can be refreshing and can give you perspective. It can also just be a nice break to have in your day.

Watch a TV show that makes you laugh 

Sometimes you just need to feel happy and an easy way to do this is to watch TV. My go-to make-me-laugh show is Brooklyn 99

Listen to a podcast 

Sometimes, it’s just nice to hear other peoples’ voices or listen to a story about someone else’s life so you don’t have to think about your own. Podcasts are a great way to do that. My favorite podcast to listen to when I’m lonely is This American Life because it’s people telling stories of other lives, and it makes me feel better as it makes me realize we all have struggles.

Eat comfort food 

They say you shouldn’t eat your feelings, but sometimes it can make you feel a lot better. A nice pint of ice cream, a cup of hot soup or maybe some mac & cheese can brighten up your day. It can also just be a nice pick-me-up. 

Call someone who means a lot to you. 

Calling people and venting or just talking about any topic can make you feel better. This person can give you advice, perspective or maybe they can just make you laugh. 

Go to counseling services 

You pay a lot of money to go to school, and if you’re having a really hard time, use your resources and go talk to a professional about it. Kent State offers free counseling services, and they are super nice and friendly. It’s a great way to get a neutral perspective on life and just talk about the hard stuff you’re going through.  ​

College is hard, but you can do it and thrive! 

Elaina Mendiola

Kent State '22

Elaina is a Fashion Merchandising major at Kent State University. She enjoys watching movies, hanging out with her dogs, thrifting, listening to podcasts, and being with friends. As a Her Campus writer, she hopes to share her passions of fashion and feminism while making others laugh along the way. Her very favorite things are her dog Priscilla, Manrepeller, and the podcast True Crime Obsessed.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.