This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Times are crazy right now and I think everyone can admit that they don’t know what is going to happen next. Because of all this uncertainty (a word that I have grown tired of hearing), it is the perfect time to save your money. Here are 5 simple and do-able ways to save money that won’t make you feel like you’re missing out, because what is there to miss out on right now?

Cook at Home

Eating out every night can really start to add up. I’m a terrible cook, so I understand some people’s hesitation in the kitchen. However, there are so many benefits to making your own meals other than saving money. You can make healthier meals by knowing what goes into it and also you can cook in bulk, or meal prep and save some for later in the week that way you aren’t cooking every day.

Make a Budget

It’s important to know where your money goes and how much of it goes towards certain things. If you create a budget and map out the essentials like rent, groceries and gas, then you are more likely to know how much you have to spend on personal items. Some banking apps even do this for you, and it is really beneficial in seeing what you spend the most money on. 

Use Coupon Apps

Apps like Honey, RetailMeNot and Groupon are all great apps if you want to save some money on those personal expenses you budgeted for.

50/20/30 Rule

According to the Intuit Turbo Blog, using the 50/20/30 rule can help when planning your budget. According to the rule, 50% of your income should go towards essentials, 20% should go into your savings and 30% can be used for personal income. 

Get Outside

If you live somewhere warm all year round, you could consider canceling that gym membership and taking advantage of some outdoor gyms or hiking trails. If you live in a place where the weather often changed day to day, getting outdoors can still help you save some money. It is always free, meaning you don’t have to buy a ticket to attend. Finally, you can be creative! The outdoors allows for so many activities such as bike riding, having a picnic, or even just lounging in the sun. Plus, it is highly encouraged to take a walk lately. Whatever you like to do, getting outside has more benefits than just saving you some money.

As I said before, now is the perfect time to start saving. These are just suggestions on how you can do that! Everyone has their own way of handling money and some of these tips have a lot more benefits than just saving you some cash:)

Cassidy Gladieux

Kent State '23

Cassidy is a junior journalism student at Kent State minoring in creative writing. This is her third year writing for Her Campus and first year as a senior editor. Cassidy is also a features writer for KentWired. In her free time, she loves to read, go on runs, and cuddle with her dog. In the future, Cassidy hopes to write for a digital magazine and travel around the world!
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.