This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Being a college student is hard enough on its own, but being a college student while struggling with your mental health is an even bigger challenge. It can be hard to get everything done that needs to be done and to find the motivation to face your everyday tasks. As someone who personally struggles with mental health issues, these past few semesters have really taken a toll on me. Lately, I’ve been making efforts to make life a little easier on myself.

Here are some of my mental health “hacks” to make every day a little easier to get through.

Simplify Mealtime

When you’re busy and depressed, making meals can feel like the last thing you want to do, but we all know it’s important to keep your body properly fueled. I keep my body fueled by simplifying the meals I eat and the groceries I buy.

Personally, I try to make sure I have protein, carbohydrates and some type of vegetable in every meal and I use this as a blueprint when I cook. I like to buy microwavable rice and pasta pouches, frozen protein sources (frozen faux meat is a lifesaver since I’m vegan) and frozen veggies. It’s super easy to heat these up with whatever sauces or seasonings you choose and call it a day! Individual snack packs can help keep you fueled too with minimal effort!

Create A Routine

One thing that has helped me significantly throughout the months is creating a relaxing night routine that acts as a daily part of my self-care routine.

Every day, I wake up and I look forward to the evening so I can relax and take care of myself. This gives me something to look forward to every day and a designated time to relax.

For me, my nightly routine consists of cooking dinner for my boyfriend and me. Then we cuddle on the couch to watch our favorite TV show while eating some snacks and having a glass of wine.

This encourages me to do my homework and any other work that needs to be done because I know I have a time period blocked off to relax and unwind. It doesn’t have to be a nightly routine either! If you’re an early bird, designating your self-care hours to the morning works too. 

Create a Social Media Timeline That Serves You

Social media can be harmful to your mental health but let’s be realistic, what college student is going to completely delete their social media accounts? Not me, that’s for sure!

However, you can change up your social media timelines so it serves you more effectively. If you follow a ton of models who make you feel insecure, it might be time to unfollow them. Instead, follow accounts that empower you and make you feel good about yourself.

These may seem like simple tips, but I found that they help me significantly and they might help you too. It only takes a few simple tips and tricks to help improve your well-being significantly.

Be kind to yourself and take care of your mental health!

Talia Gogel

Kent State '23

Hi! My name is Talia Gogel and I'm a sophomore fashion merchandising at Kent State! I love shopping, cooking, bunnies, astrology, and reading! I’m involved in the Fashion Student Organization, a member of Tri Sigma Sorority, and HerCampus!