This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

I always get confused and sometimes disgusted responses when I tell people that I watch ASMR videos to help me fall asleep. While these types of responses are expected, I always recommend people try it out before they knock it because of how odd it may seem.

ASMR stands for Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response, which refers to the tingling sensation or feeling of relaxation an individual may experience in response to a series of sounds, descriptions, or visuals which often include whispering, chewing, tapping, and hair brushing. These sounds and visuals that cause ASMR are often referred to as triggers. Not everyone experiences the sensation of ASMR, but those who do not sometimes still watch it for its relaxing qualities.

The acronym and definition of ASMR were coined by Jennifer Allen as she was on a search for an explanation for the stimulation she experienced when watching space videos. Since then, the world of ASMR has only expanded.

In a 2015 research study on ASMR, participants self-reported their response to triggers with the three most popular being whispering (75%), personal attention (69%), and crisp sounds (64%). If you do a quick search on YouTube, you’ll find multiple ASMR videos dedicated to these extremely popular triggers. 

ASMR not only helps me relax and fall asleep, but it also helps me relieve anxiety and focus while I am working on my laptop. Over the five years that I have been watching ASMR, I have grown to love and religiously watch a few ASMR creators including ASMR Darling, Lily Whispers, ASMR Gibi, SouthernASMR Sounds, and ASMR Psychetruth

If you have been apprehensive about watching ASMR for any reason, I encourage you to try it out. You never how your opinion might change or how relaxed you’ll be! Check out the video below to give you a first look into the world of ASMR.

Hi! I’m Taylor. I’m a Journalism & Emerging Media Major at Kennesaw State University and I’m a member of HerCampus @ KSU! I love all things beauty, pop culture, pageants, and broadcasting. When I graduate, I plan on working for a broadcasting network as an investigative reporter. I hope you follow Her Campus At KSU so you never miss our articles! ?