Style > Beauty

Self-Care Tips to Get Rid of Those Winter Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

Hey, girlies! Hope you all are having a fantastic Spring semester! Although Winter brings some of the best holidays like Christmas and New Year’s, it can be a hard time for some people if you’ve ever heard of the winter blues or seasonal depression then you understand why. That’s why I want to share some great self-care tips to get you through the rest of this season until spring decides to make its comeback.

Eucalyptus in the Shower

Eucalyptus in the shower is great for so many things. Here’s how it works! Go to the local health food store and grab some eucalyptus, then go home hang it on your shower head and you’re done! When you shower, the steam will release the essential oils from the eucalyptus and moisturize your skin. Eucalyptus also boosts your immune system, soothes achy joints, and relaxes you, all while you shower.

Moisturizing Face and Hair Masks

Dry and combination skin have it the hardest during Winter, and so does your hair. Face masks are the easiest way to add moisture back into your skin. Mario Badescu’s “Super Collagen Mask” ($18). If your skin is more on the oily side, then you would benefit from Aztec clay ($8) mixed with apple cider vinegar mixed into a paste and applied as a mask. For your hair, avocado is the way to go! Avocado is great for adding back any vitamins and minerals your hair might be missing while moisturizing it as well.

Drink Water

We all know we need to drink water. Unfortunately, sometimes it can be easy to forget as we are busy throughout the semester, but it is so essential to a healthy you! Water adds back moisture to your skin, helps with under eye circles, and gives you that glow you miss from summer time. To make it easy on you and the environment, invest in a reusable water bottle so you can refill it all day as you please. For an added boost, start your mornings by drinking warm water with lemon.

Vitamin B-12 and Vitamin B-6

t’s a fact that vitamin deficiency can cause depression. As college students, it’s super hard to eat at reasonable times of the day, let alone eat a balanced diet with all the vitamins you need. This is why it’s necessary to supplement your diet by adding a multivitamin. Vitamin B-12 and B-6 have been called the “happy vitamins,” and they are essential for increasing energy, reducing stress, and promoting overall happiness. So, if you’ve been feeling sluggish and not like yourself look into getting some Vitamin B-12 or B-6 from the local health food store!

Karissa is a senior at Kennesaw State University majoring in psychology, minoring in criminology.
Jaz Daley

Kennesaw '22

Jaz Daley is an Alum from Kennesaw State University and she majored in Public Relations. Jaz is the founder of the Her Campus chapter at Kennesaw State and was the Campus Correspondent and President for 4 years. In her spare time, she likes to create various DIY projects, read, and hang out with her furbabies. She hopes to continue her studies and lead Disney's Public Relations team in the future.