Fence Broken Ocean Plants Hiking Adventure Fun Original
Charlotte Reader / Her Campus
Wellness > Mental Health

How Personal Space Reflects Boundaries

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

In the midst of the pandemic, with no end in sight, people saw the loss of the ability to go where they wanted and see those they loved. Even when being able to see those they cherish, people must keep at least six feet apart.

During the pandemic personal space went from a common courtesy to a safety issue, which may be why many people today have a trouble adapting into a post-pandemic time. 

While humans tend to be territorial about their space, such as claiming a chair in class and getting upset when someone else sits in it, that is not the only reason humans desire personal space.

Personal space guards one’s body from stimuli, stress, and helps to protect us, according to Sources of Insight.

Stimuli is much louder and brighter when it is closer to us, as well as being more powerful to affect one and their well-being. People often think about their safety too when thinking about personal space being violated.

People might consider flying on an aircraft, where seats are small and elbow room is hard to come by. Paying attention to boundaries in small spaces is important and someone might prefer to share such a space next to them with a friend versus a stranger, according to Psychology Today.

Invasions of personal space does not only include touch. It can include smells and unwanted talking as well.

There are four different kinds of personal space: intimate, personal, social, and public. Intimate space is the closest which is reserved for family, lovers, and close friends, while public space does not enter our brain’s domain of considering someone in one’s own personal space, according to Prevention.

Anxious people and those who has experienced trauma also need a larger personal space than those who have not. This could be because those with anxiety and those with trauma are more sensitive on picking up stimuli and also more observant to the world around them.

There are many reasons why one should respect someone’s personal space. Respecting space and by extension boundaries is key to helping someone else feel respected and valued as a human, according to LinkedIn.

People can help each other feel like their personal space matters by giving space and then receiving space from others. 

Nonbinary advocate (he/they) and interested in LGBT+ topics! Junior at Kennesaw State University and writer/editor.