Wellness

Five Things That’ll Help You Get Through the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

Sometimes the semester can feel like it lasts forever, especially Spring semester. January felt like three months in one! I’m not sure if it’s just me but last semester felt lke a whole year went by instead of a couple of months. The first WEEK felt like an entire MONTH! I’ve heard that Spring semester goes by quicker than Fall but at this point, I’m not so sure about that. So, if you can relate, I have some tips for you. With the regular academic year coming to a close, I have five quick and easy things that’ll help the semester go by just a LITTLE faster. 

Sleep!!

Your body needs sleep! The days are not going to go by any faster if you’re not getting any. Heck, some days I go to bed early for no reason. I love to sleep! Not only is it good for your body and your health, but it’s good for your mind too. Sleep is the best way to rejuvenate and reset your body for the next day. Get at least 8 hours of sleep, and I promise you will be in a better mood mentally, you will look better physically, and you’ll be ready to take on whatever the day throws at you.

Quality Time with Friends

Friends offer escapes from the stress of life like no other. Take time away and spend it with your friends. Not too much–this is where time management comes in–but it’s okay to have fun! Set aside some time to let loose or chill! I guarantee that the assignment or that essay will be there when you come back to it. Spending all of your time studying or all of your time thinking about studying is not going to help you in the long run. I know, and you know that you have a ton of assignments due every week, but if you don’t take time away from your laptop to do something you enjoy, you will go insane. And who knows? Your friends might need a break too! 

Study Sessions

Something that I noticed about myself this year is that I can not study in my room. I’m just too comfortable! And some days, studying by myself doesn’t work. My advice to you: study sessions can be a lifesaver!! This doesn’t mean that you always have to study with a group of people, though! When I say “study sessions,” I suggest getting out of your dorm or your apartment and getting your work done for the week. I mean carving out at least 2 to 5 hours of study time, where all you do is your work. This is the time to get that essay done! This is the time you read that book! This is the time you send that email! And once your block of study time is finished for the day, that’s it! For the rest of the day, you don’t have to think about those assignments you have left. You can enjoy the day because what you didn’t finish that day, you’ll finish the next day! Have a plan! School-work comes first. Then, have fun!

Me-Time!!

Self-care is the ultimate reward. After the hard week you’ve undoubtedly had, you need this time to yourself. Take one day out of the week–no homework, no stress–and be by yourself. Take yourself on a date! Get your nails, hair, eyebrows, eyelashes done. Buy that new outfit you’ve been putting together in your head all week! Go to the gym or a yoga class! Do whatever it is that will make you feel at peace with yourself inside and out because you deserve it. Take this time to reflect on the good things happening in your life. Take this time to center yourself again, and be there at the moment. It should feel like the best release of tension you’ve ever felt; It should feel like the best deep breath you’ve ever taken. Once you do that, you’ll be even more prepared to tackle the rest of the semester ahead of you.

Pick Up a New Hobby or Join a New Organization!

Along with the school-work and classes, college is all about the experience and what you choose to make of it! It can get a little repetitive if all you’re doing is going to class and going back home. More than repetitive, it can get boring! And when you’re bored, the days seem even longer than they were before. Fill your time with the things that you like to do! If you’re into photography, start a business! If you write, start a blog or join a publication! If you’re looking to meet people and make friends, join an organization, and attend their events. If you find something that you enjoy doing, you will never be bored, and your day will never be lacking!

I know some of these things might seem like they’re easier said than done, but time flies when you’re having a good time. These are some of the things that I have found work for me, so maybe they’ll help you as well. I hope these tips make your semester go by faster or, at the least, help you to enjoy it more!

Hi, I’m Jazmine! I am an English Education major at Kennesaw State University. I am also a writer for HC at KSU. Follow me on Instagram! (@jazminenxcole)
A collegiette's guide to life from the KSU chapter of Her Campus!