This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

Starting a business is hard, but creating it while taking four college classes is more challenging. I started my business, JazzyDesignsUS, in February 2020 with not much research and at the beginning of a pandemic, but I wouldn’t trade the experience for anything! Here are five lessons I learned while starting my business! 

Time Management and I Are Besties Now

Time management used to be my WORST enemy. I don’t like making lists or planning out my day, but when I started my business, I became more organized, made lists, and started planning my day. When I would stop doing my homework and start working on my business, making plans, etc. It did take a long time to get used to but let’s just say my homework is always finished! Tackling time management is hard, especially with procrastination, but tackling this beast will ensure you have a smooth and easy business journey! 

Asking For Help Isn’t A Bad Thing

I am so bad at asking for help. If I’m struggling, I have no problem asking the internet but another human? Yeah, no, but often we do need that human connection to help us. I asked my family, friends, and other people who had businesses and were successful and even reached out to some people via Instagram for some advice. What I didn’t realize, though, was the connections I was building by asking. Now I have new friends who often check on me and vise versa! 

YouTube Is Filled With Knowledge 

YouTube University was and is so helpful when you have more questions on a business! Search and find the best sources for you concerning your business and take notes while you’re at it too!

It’s Hard in the Beginning But Please Don’t Give Up

I’m not going to lie, but it is hard. At first, you feel discouraged and worried that no one will like your products; but don’t feel so down and out. Remember that it takes time for people to find your product, marketing is always helpful, and don’t advertise your business on just one social media platform. Be patient, take your time perfecting your product, and market yourself and your business!

Keep That CEO Glow 

YES YES YES! Keep up that positive attitude, say your affirmations, and be a strong boss! What helps me the most is having positive screensavers on my phone and laptop and around my office/craft room because they continue to remind me why I started my business in the first place. I love to craft, and I love making personalized gifts or just everyday things for people. I promise it is all worth it in the end!

Starting a business is scary, intimidating, and nonetheless expensive at first, but putting your best foot forward and going for it is the best thing you could do for yourself! Start your business, and don’t look back! 

Check out JazzyDesignsUS on Etsy here!

Jaz Daley

Kennesaw '22

Jaz Daley is an Alum from Kennesaw State University and she majored in Public Relations. Jaz is the founder of the Her Campus chapter at Kennesaw State and was the Campus Correspondent and President for 4 years. In her spare time, she likes to create various DIY projects, read, and hang out with her furbabies. She hopes to continue her studies and lead Disney's Public Relations team in the future.