Experiences

A New Chapter: My 21st Birthday Recap

Happy New Year everyone, and happy birthday to all of my January babies! I’m not sure about you, but this year is looking pretty good to me so far. I won’t bore you guys with every detail of my birthday week. But, I do want to talk about how different this birthday felt to the others. I’m not sure if it’s because I turned 21, which feels like a more “adult” age, or if it was something else. The vibes were different and I kind of liked it.

I feel like a lot of us spend most of our younger adult lives waiting for 21 and then waiting for 25. At least, I did. I’ve always looked forward to the years when I got legal permission to do something I couldn’t before. Before I was 16, I learned how to drive a car by myself. Before I was 18, I couldn’t wait to vote and have the restrictions on my license taken off. And throughout all of those years leading up to this one, I couldn’t wait until I got that “under 21” taken off of my license and could drink legally. I’m not saying I’m going to go crazy, but something about it is freeing. And, I can’t even describe how “grown-up” I felt sitting in the restaurant on my birthday and drinking that first drink.

All of my friends, or most of them, are already 21 or over, so they were able to drink with me. We ate, drank (a little), laughed, and talked about everything under the sun. Then we made plans to hang out again, it felt like we were a group of young 20-somethings on a TV show. Throughout the night and weekend, I couldn’t help but feel that subtle change. I know that most people call every new year a “new chapter” but I only do that when it truly feels like the last one is closing. This year actually felt like one to me. I’ve had quite a few things change in my life. My mentality, personal style, and outlook on life have changed. Drinking legally is just one thing out of all of that, but it was such a big part of my birthday that it made me reflect on how far I’ve come and exactly how much has changed for me.

I’m really excited to see what 21 has in store for me. Who knows what’ll happen in the next few months? I know that I usually end my articles asking for everyone’s input and thoughts. But this time, I’m really curious. If you’ve turned 21 recently or can remember it pretty well, how did it feel for you? It felt like a true transition to adulthood for me, but I’m sure for some of you it just felt like another year. Either way, I’d be interested in hearing your experiences as well!

Hi, I’m Jazmine! I am an English Education major at Kennesaw State University. I am also a writer for HC at KSU. Follow me on Instagram! (@jazminenxcole)