This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

As college students, I’m sure most of us are looking for a job after we graduate. The saying goes, “It’s not what you know. It’s who know.” Many times securing jobs or internships is really just about who you can connect with. It may be that you know the hiring manager or someone you know is able to put in a good word for you at the company you want to work at. You never know who may be able to help you out in the future so I’m gonna give you some great tips about expanding your network.

join Pre-professional organizations

As a Public Relations Major I have joined the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA). Many professionals in our parent organization have come to speak to us at meetings and have extended themselves to us. They have offered to have meetings with us if we are interested in the sector they work in or just to connect on LinkedIn. Joining a pre-professional organization may also give you the opportunity to go to conferences and meet those across your state or country that you may have never met otherwise.

Drunk Schitts Creek GIF by CBC - Find & Share on GIPHY
Make a Linkedin

Even if you don’t know where to start just make a LinkedIn. I can’t tell you how many connections I have missed out on because I was too afraid to create one. Even though it may seem discouraging because your peers have 300+ connections and you’ll start out with none, they had to start at zero too. Just start with adding a picture with a smile that doesn’t have a distracting background. If you don’t have any work experience, that’s okay. We’re college students and recruiters know that. Put down some positions you have in different organizations you’re in and add those jobs or internships as you go along.

InternIn GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY
Follow Up

After you meet someone and they agree to connect with you, don’t be afraid to follow up. Don’t just say, “Hi my name is ____ and I met you at ___.” That doesn’t give them much to work with and most professionals have pretty busy schedules. Tell them something they said that inspired you and ask them if they would be open to talking to you about what they do. People love to talk about themselves and feel like they are helping someone who looks up to them. Just having a conversation can open up so many doors.

Follow Up Schitts Creek GIF by CBC - Find & Share on GIPHY
Do your research

If there is a certain place you want to work, find out who works there and connect with them. It can be hard to find a hiring manager, but try to find someone who seems to have been at the company for a while. Reach out to them or try to connect on LinkedIn. Ask if they are open to talk with you about the industry or anything that may interest you.

Snl Season 44 GIF by Saturday Night Live - Find & Share on GIPHY
Ask Questions

I have connected with a number of people by just asking questions. I know they say to have your elevator pitch ready, but like I said before people love talking about themsleves. While you have a conversation with someone, everything in your pitch comes out naturally. Maybe it’s just me but elevator pitches seem unnatural, just go with the flow. Many times someone who is enjoying a discussion with you will just ask you to connect with them or LinkedIn or email your resume.

Asking Ask Me GIF by PinkNews - Find & Share on GIPHY
Have your elevator Pitch Ready

I know in the last tip I said elevator pitches may not be as important. However, I am not telling you to not have one prepared. If you’re someone who gets nervous and in your conversation the dreaded, “Tell me about yourself,” comes up it may be important to have something on deck. I will say it is important to be able to customize your pitch depending on the person you are talking to. While one person may love that you have certain experience, you may want something else you’ve done to shine with another.

Taylor Schilling Elevator GIF by Take Me - Find & Share on GIPHY
Talk to your professors

I think we often forget that our professors can be a valuable resource. Most of the time they have had successful careers in the industry we want to be in. If a lecturer cannot point you in the direction of a job or internship, they can help you with recommendations, creating your resume, or applying to a job. After years of experience, they know what recruiters are looking for and can help you prepare for that interview or let you know which companies might not be so great to work at. However, make sure that before you do this you have good relationships with your professors. If you are not coming to class, turning your work in on time or not being the best student you may not have successful results.

Tv Show Lol GIF by Teachers on TV Land - Find & Share on GIPHY

I hope that this was helpful to anyone looking to put themselves out there and connect with others. Let’s go network!

Vernesha Brown

Kennesaw '23

I'm Vernesha and I'm a junior Public Relations major. You can follow me on Instagram @_vernesha_ or on Twitter @vernesha219!