This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

This semester there was only an 8 am timeslot available for one of my classes. I decided to go for it, but during the first week of classes, I realized I needed some tips. I haven’t taken a class this early since high school, so my body isn’t used to waking up this early. Here are five tips I’ve either gotten from my mom or found through trial and error that could help you survive your 8 am class.

Set Your Clothes Out The Night Before

You’ll save time in the morning by having your outfit picked out already. Check the weather for the morning when picking out your clothes to make sure you’re dressed appropriately. If the forecast shows rain, go ahead and get your umbrella and raincoat out, so you aren’t scrambling to find them right before you leave.

Get Up Early

I know it doesn’t sound very good. Who would want to wake up any earlier than the last minute for such an early class? I’ve been waking up at 6:30 for my 8 am. It gives me time to wake up, so I’m not struggling to stay awake in class. By waking up that early, I also have time to do my makeup if I have something planned later in the day. It also gives me time to eat breakfast and have some coffee before class.

Shower In The Morning

Taking a shower in the morning will help you wake up. The important part is to get your head wet. I have a lot of hair, so this seemed like a bad idea for me at first, but since I’ve been waking up so early, I have time to let my hair dry before I leave for class. If you don’t have the time to shower in the morning or you know your hair won’t dry in time, splash water on your face to help you wake up.

Have Your Bag Mostly Packed

If you put your notebooks and any other supplies you need for the day in your bag the night before, you’ll save some time packing before class. In the mornings, we can all be a little forgetful, so having everything ready beforehand will ensure you aren’t leaving anything behind. I leave my laptop charging overnight, but I pack everything else I need when I set out my clothes. That way, when I go to grab my bag, I can just put my laptop in and leave for class.

Go To Sleep Early

This might be hard if you wait to do your homework until the night before, but try to go to sleep early. You’ll be waking up earlier, so you want to be sure you get enough sleep. I try to go to bed around ten on the nights before my 8 am class. Having enough sleep will also make it easier for you to wake up early. Since I’ve started to go to sleep earlier, I’ve noticed that waking up at 6:30 no longer feels like I’m waking up in the middle of the night.

Everyone is different, so some tips might not be right for you! Try everything out at least once and see if it helps you. I found some of these tips by trying out different things I thought could help me, so if you have any ideas of your own, be sure to try them out. Hopefully, these tips will help you survive your 8 am class. Good luck this semester!

Emily Rubin

Kennesaw '22

Emily is a senior at Kennesaw State University.
A collegiette's guide to life from the KSU chapter of Her Campus!