Health

5 Best Ways to Beat Period Cramps

Water, Water, Water!

Drinking water directly impacts your bloating, which is what makes period cramps feel even worse. So by drinking water, you get two birds with one stone!

Kicking Caffeine
Latte Art
Kelsey Emery / Spoon

This may not be what you want to hear, but by drinking one less coffee or replacing that coke with water, you’ll help alleviate those pesky cramps.

Picking a Pill

I’m sure you’re already aware of this one, but pills help lessen the pain and lessen cramps. Our top medicines include Midol, made specifically for women on their periods, Ibuprofen, which can help lighten your cycle, and Aleve, which helps as an anti-inflammatory.

Heat it Up

Using a heating pad helps to ease the muscles in your uterus and increase the blood flow, which reduces cramps. If you don’t have a plug-in heating pad, never fear! There are microwavable and DIY options for you too.

Move Around!
Anna Schultz-Smiling Girl With Rollerskates
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

Many people swear by working out to alleviate those period cramps. The exercise can release endorphins that allow you to feel better. Don’t feel pressured to go to the gym! There are lots of alternatives, such as going for a walk at-home friendly yoga poses and dancing it out (all while listening to your favorite album, of course!).

Molly is a self-proclaimed coffee addict with a love for fluffy socks, blankets, and dogs. She is a lover of light and a creator. Molly is an avid Jodi Picoult reader, and her passion lies in literature and helping kids. She is pursuing her passions by becoming an English teacher and cannot wait to be in the classroom.