Simple, But Tasty Tuna Pasta Dish Recipe!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kean chapter.

Simple, fun, healthy and delicious tuna pasta dish recipe

There is a popular saying, “Practice makes perfect.” This especially includes cooking. Cooking is an essential skill that everyone needs, and in order to develop your skills in it, it is best to start with cooking small and easy meals!

One day during the summer, I was debating on what to cook for lunch and after browsing in the kitchen for a few minutes, I found some fantastic ingredients to make a fun and fulfilling meal. The meal included pasta, tuna, mayo, honey mustard and tomato sauce.

After cooking the dish for the first time, I became very addicted to it and  now I refer to it as my signature dish! If you would like to test your cooking skills with my meal, feel free to follow my recipe located below.

Ingredients

1. A small box of any brand of Italian pasta. The particular pasta noodles I use are Penne.

2. A jar of Ragu tomato sauce, or any vodka sauce will do.

3. One can of Tuna fish. I use the brand Bumble Bee and the type of tuna is Solid White Alabcore. The tuna usually comes in water, so it needs to be drained before including it in the pasta.

4. A jar of mayo and it can be any kind of brand.

5. A bottle of any type of Honey Mustard (depending on your preference). I use the brand French’s.

6. A little container or packet of salt to add to the boiling water so the noodles do not stick together, if desired.

Cooking Supplies

1. A medium size cooking pot to boil the pasta in. You also need to grab a cover for your pot while the pasta is boiling. The cover will need to be removed when you stir around your noodles.

2. A small pot to warm up the sauce in and a cover.

3. A metal spoon to stir the pasta every couple of minutes so the pasta does not stick to the bottom of the pot.

4. A drainer so you can drain the pasta when it is finished cooking.

5. A small bowl to add the tuna and the ingredients (the mayo and honey mustard) in.

6. A plate or bowl to put your meal in after everything is cooked.

7. One piece of aluminum foil.

8. Can opener.

9. Plastic or metal fork.

[pagebreak]

Directions

1. Turn on the burner of the stove to high cooking temperature. Make sure to keep a close eye on it and make sure nothing flammable is close by the stove.

2. Grab the medium size cooking pot and clean it with soap and water before using it to cook your pasta.

3. After the pot is cleaned and dried, fill up the cooking pot half way with water.

4. Place the cooking pot on the burner and add in a pinch of salt. I usually don’t add salt, but most people do while cooking the pasta.

5. Grab your box of pasta noodles and once you notice the water is boiling, toss in the noodles. Now the amount of noodles you pour depends on how many servings you want to cook, and also on the size of the pot.

6. Once the noodles are in the pot, boil them for about twelve minutes. Every couple of minutes, can be two or three, take off the cover and stir up the pasta noodles.

7. After about six minutes, turn down the temperature of the pasta to medium heat. This is so the water won’t leak out of the sides of the cooking pot.

8. When your pasta is getting closer to the finishing time, clean and dry your small cooking pot, place it on the stove, and turn another burner on to low heat.

9. After your second burner is on, grab the jar of tomato sauce and pour in less then half of the sauce to add to your pasta noodles.

10. Let your sauce cook for about three minutes and turn off the burner. Leave the sauce on the stove until your pasta is drained.

11. When the cooking time for your pasta is finished, turn off your burner, grab the pot with cooking mitts, bring it to the sink along with your drainer, and slowly pour the pasta noodles into your drainer. Now if your drainer is in a spoon form, you can easily just scoop up your pasta noodles with the spoon and let it drain that way. If you have a drainer bowl, then you have to pour your pasta into it.

12. When your pasta is all drained you can empty it into your serving bowl. When the pasta is in the bowl, take a piece of foil and wrap it around the top and sides of it. The foil will keep your pasta hot while you are preparing your tuna fish.

13. To keep your sauce warm as well, place a cover on the small pot with the sauce for a couple of minutes until your tuna is prepared.

14. Grab your can of tuna fish and use the can opener to open it. Once your can is open, pour out all of the water into the sink.

15. After your water is poured, toss out the top of the can and pour in all of the tuna into your small bowl. Once the tuna is in the bowl, toss out the can, and use your fork to chop up the tuna fish into pieces.

16. After the tuna fish is already broken up, scoop up some mayo from your jar (or if you have the squeezable bottle), add in your mayo to the fish. I usually add in like one tablespoon of mayo, sometimes two. I like my tuna to be very creamy, but its important to not over do it. After the mayo is poured into the fish, stir it around and make sure all of the tuna gets equally covered.

17. After adding the mayo, pour in the Honey Mustard. I love Honey Mustard so if you are  a big fan of it like me, add in any amount that you like. The mustard gives your tuna delicious and sweet flavor!

18. Last but not least, stir in your mustard and make sure everything is coated, put the tuna mixture into your pasta, plus your tomato sauce and your meal is complete! Enjoy your first fun and creative meal!

[pagebreak]

Photo Credits:

1. Photo credit for tuna fish picture : www.meijer.com

2. Photo credit for tomato sauce picture : www.freerepublic.com

3. Photo credit for Mayo picture:  shop.dutyfreefood.com

4. Photo credit for pasta noodles picture : www.meijer.com
5. Photo credit for Honey Mustard picture : caloriecount.about.com
I received my Associate's degree in Liberal Arts Journalism at Middlesex County College. I have a variety of Journalism experience. I was in charge of children's newsletter at a summer camp program. I worked on a news report at MCC about a program called "Give Kids a Smile" and this program provided free dental care to children. I am great at digital photography, interviewing, and networking. I also wrote for two school newspapers.The first was "Quo Vadis" for Middlesex County College. I am currently a second time writer for "The Tower" newspaper at Kean. I am currently the Vice President of Her Campus for the Fall semester 2013 and during the Spring I will be the President of Her Campus Kean magazine. This May 2014 I will be graduating with my Bachelor's degree in Communications/ Journalism.