This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

As winter approaches, the thought of chilly days, hot cocoa, oversized hoodies and chunky boots excites everyone. However, this is also the season of allergies, flu, and most of all: dry air. Dry air results in dehydration of the whole body, especially affecting your long and lustrous hair. So how can you retain moisture through this dry and chilly season?

1. Run away from the blow dryer

o Blow ‘dry’ers rip the hair off its natural moisture, leaving it dry (and often damaged too).

o Shower long enough before you have to head out to make sure your hair has time to dry… definitely don’t want to catch a cold.

2. Avoid washing your hair everyday

o The chemicals in shampoos can often strip off the hair of its natural oils resulting in dry hair and a flaky scalp.

o The longer you don’t wash your hair, the better it will strengthen and train. I know the natural oils can be annoying, however they are not always bad (pssst, dry shampoo to the rescue).

3. Dry shampoo: your go to thing

o It honestly works like a miracle. It’s perfect for the days you are running late or just feeling lazy to wash your hair.

o A little bit of spray/powder will do wonders by absorbing the oil and leaving your hair looking fresh. My go-to products for winter as a person with long wavy hair are:

1. Mark Hill KERAsatin Shampoo Definitely recommend this to everyone with any hair type. It’s been an absolute game changer – giving my hair all the nutrients whilst kissing goodbye to frizz.

2. Mark Hill KERAsatin Conditioner Applying this to my roots has reduced my split-ends substantially + it smells great!

3. Moroccan Oil Light It gives all the hair needs during winter: infinite shine, flattering softness, long-lasting nutrition, dirt protection and a uniquely delightful hair scent. Just a few drops of this acts like magic giving you the hair you dreamt off.

So that’s about it, enjoy trying these products out and keep your hair happy! Happy Hydrating!

A 3rd year Biomedic Student at King’s College London, an animal lover and a spiritual seeker. When I’m not working on lab reports and dissertations, I enjoy practicing typography, dancing, and binge watching friends.
President of Her Campus KCL!