stranger things?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stranger things?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
netflix

Why there is a growing interest in F1 and why young women should take an interest

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

Formula One and the significance it has on our society

Even though it is apparent that Formula One involves cars racing over a substantial number of laps around a circuit, there is more to it than meets the eye. Although it may seem violent and vicious, I find the sport to be rather beautiful for its many deeper meanings. The sport that is most underappreciated of all, in my opinion, is certainly motorsport. While many enjoy football, it is possible that the sport has lost sight of its original goal: promoting a sense of community and enjoyment. Formula One offers a lot to appreciate, from the car’s construction and design to the drivers themselves. This sport is excellent in all regards. Formula One became a source of comfort for me when I was at my lowest, and it has consistently succeeded in making me smile, feel happier, and less anxious. Many can concur with me here. I must disagree with those who claim that Formula One is silly and boring. There are many different things that may happen during a race: collisions, spins, engine failure, fires, and anxiously waiting to see that individual emerge. I am always on the edge of my seat. Countless people use sports as a source of peace and comfort, happiness, and dependence. I am one of those people. Among the many reasons I enjoy the sport, the main one is undoubtedly the constant chaos.

Drive to Survive and Current Grid:

Netflix and Formula One collaborated to produce a documentary and drama series Formula One: Drive to Survive. The current grid’s backstage operations are covered in this series, along with every race week. It examines the careers of all 21 drivers in Formula One, as well as the team executives and team principals. The show explores first wins, disparity among the drivers, and each team’s success in the Constructors’ Championship. There are currently four seasons of the show available on Netflix, and I highly recommend it. It offers you an understanding of how fantastic the sport is, and because of the drama, you are always left on the edge of your seat and wanting to know more. Be mindful that one may say that Drive to Survive is exaggerated. For instance, during the first season of this drama, Netflix exaggerated the tension between Max and Daniel, despite the fact that they are both constantly obsessed with one another and never fail to make each other laugh.

There are 9 teams and 18 Drivers which are:

• Oracle Red Bull Racing ( Max Verstappen and Sergio Perez)
  • Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One team (George Russell and Lewis Hamilton)
  • McLaren (Lando Norris and Daniel Ricciardo)
  • Scuderia Ferrari (Carlos Sainz and Charles Leclerc)
  • Haas F1 Team (Mick Schumacher and Kevin Magnussen)
  • Williams Racing (Alex Albon and Nicholas Latifi)
  • Scuderia AlphaTauri (Pierre Gasly and Yuki Tsunoda)
  • Apline F1 team ( Fernando Alonso and Esteban Ocon)
  • Alfa Romeo Racing ( Valtteri Bottas and Zhou Guanyu)

The information above only refers to the current season of 2022 because there will be many new adjustments in the following season.

The importance of women in motorsport

It is unfortunate that there aren’t any female F1 drivers right now, because it would be incredible to see them rule the racetrack. There are many reasons why there are not any women in Formula One, one of which is that, until recently, women were not really supported in any aspect of the sport. Few women have risen through the ranks in Formula One due to the absence of female role models. Lella Lombardi was the last female to compete in an F1 Grand Prix 45 years ago. It is sad to see so few women in Formula One. The W-series, a racing series dedicated only to female racers, was established four years ago. Many Formula One drivers start out in motorsport at an extremely young age. There has historically not been as much of a push for young females to engage in the sport as there has been for males. Thanks to the significant change modern society has endured in the past ten years, many young females now are supported and encouraged to pursue a career in motorsport. In the past, it would have been discouraged for any young women to show interest in Formula One, as it would have been regarded as a “male-only sport”. Encouraging the younger generation of females to pursue a career in motorsport and breaking down the gender stereotype is what we would love to see one day, and I hope to see it soon.

Things that happened during the session that you need to know before the last race in November:

Well, a lot has happened. From Charles being first in the Driver standings, to Max Verstappen dethroning him and managing to be ahead by a significant amount of points. For Ferrari, this season has been a rollercoaster of emotions. Carlos won his first maiden. Charles experienced several DNFs – which may have been the reason he was unable to win the 2022 Season Championship – if not the fault of Ferrari’s strategy team.

On a positive note, George has been truly amazing in his first season with Mercedes, whereas his teammate, Lewis Hamilton, we are yet to see finish first on the pole or on the podium. In the McLaren team and Apline team, there has been a lot of drama, with Daniel departing to make room for Oscar Piastri for the upcoming season, and being left still looking for a team to drive for. Haas and Williams are the only two teams with seats available. Red bull, on the other hand, seems to be doing amazing, considering they are dominating both drivers standing and team standing. After the Japanese Grand Prix, the young dutch driver was announced as the second World Champion in a row. Most importantly, Mick was able to score his first F1 points this season and has improved a lot. We hope to see him next season. In other news, we have a new addition to the gird: Nyck De Vries will be joining Scuderia AlphaTauri while Pierre Gasly will be joining Alpine. Nicholas Latifi will not be joining Williams next season, which means there’s an available seat, and the question that everyone wants to be answered is: who will drive alongside Alex for Williams next season?

Love F1, love tea, coffee and reading both fiction and non fiction books.