Style > Fashion

What Girls In STEM Are Wearing This Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

My university campus is in central London, and it’s filled with STEM girls – I am also a STEM girl, hence my obsessive observations. As I take my outfit inspiration from people I see out and about, I decided to compile my observations to: 1. give you some inspiration, and 2. give you an insight into a girl in STEM’s wardrobe.

The vibe of my campus is cosy and comfortable. For the girls to achieve this, the main clothing items I have seen a lot of are:

1. Knitwear – big, cosy, warm, snuggly crewneck jumpers
  2. Scarfs – all the colours! The bigger, the better
  3. Wide leg everything! – cargos, jeans, parachute pants
  4. Boots – Dr Martens are a STEM girl’s best friend

Here are the questions I asked 5 girls in STEM on my campus, and the answers they had:

What fashion trends are you loving at the moment?

• “Pops of red”
  • “Cherry red leather (boots, bags and jackets), chunky knit jumpers and aviator jackets”
  • “Knitwear. This is such a good trend because it’s more sustainable, knitwear tends to last longer. Also perfect for winter! ‘Coogi’ style knit jumpers, white knit jumpers or stripes are my favourite.”
  • “This is so hard, but I’m a big fan of cosy girl winter stuff like big jumpers and UGG boots and cutesy sort of stuff like that”
  • “Medium/low waist, baggy trousers”

What is your go to campus outfit?

• “Cargos and a hoodie and a very warm coat”
  • “Baggy t-shirts”
  • “Chunky knit grandad jumper, baggy low waist jeans and platform docs is my go-to comfy lab outfit right now”
  • “Any wide length or flared trousers or jeans with a warm big knit”
  • “My go to outfit would probably be jeans and a jumper of some kind with converse, or if I’m feeling VERY lazy it’ll be gym leggings and a cosy hoodie”

Where do you get your outfit ideas from?

• “I have no originality, so anyone I see when I’m out”
  • “Pinterest and OOTD TikToks are my go to”
  • “I take inspiration from going outside really”
  • “My outfit ideas mainly come from my sister or TikTok”

Where is your favourite place to shop?

• “Charity shops if I can find anything, or Weekday sales
  • “Weekday and Vinted”
  • “I love vintage shopping if I’m in the mood to rummage around and see what good second-hand finds I can get”
  • “I’m lazy so I tend to go for ASOS, because then I can get stuff from loads of different brands and it’s all in one place for me to look at, or I love a bit of H&M too”

To conclude, girls in STEM need cosy, comfy and warm outfits this winter season. They like pops of colour through scarfs, shoes or accessories. Most of us like second-hand shopping around London, like in charity shops or at car boot sales (Peckham car boot is a personal favourite), or on Vinted. Basically, girls in STEM need cosy outfits to get through their classes this season!

Carys Grieve is a writer at HerCampus in the heart of London at Kings College London (KCL). She expresses all silly opinions on all things style: fashion, trends, London gems and beauty secrets. Carys is completing her final year at KCL studying neuroscience (its as gross as it sounds). After graduating, Carys intends to continue her studies by completing a master’s in clinical neuroscience to get her one step closer to going into dementia research. (After travelling the world) Carys spends all her time reading and eating. She will NOT shut up about a good book and she will spend all her money on cinnamon buns (she’s trying to find the best one in London) She likes flexing that she surfed at Bondi beach and that she touched Jason Derulo.