Style > Fashion

What Do I Wear on NYE? A Guide to Conscious Shopping

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

It’s that time of the year again: grey skies, cold weather, and if you’re like me, all that you want to do is get under the covers, grab your hot chocolate and read a book…or go online shopping. And with the abundance of shopping deals that you can find both online and in-store, it’s difficult not to splurge on some items to treat yourself. After all, Black Friday has just gone by, but there’s still time to add items to your Christmas list. Or, to worry about the perfect party-ready outfit for New Year’s Eve celebrations. So, with all occasions that are coming up this year, there are questions that a lot of us ask ourselves: what to wear? What is worth buying to complement my party outfit? And what can I use that is already in my wardrobe?

Until like a year ago, I used to be the girl that would buy an entire outfit, brand-new, for every occasion that I had. And, especially at the end of the year, that meant a lot of shopping: I wanted something new to wear at family dinner on Christmas Eve, but I also had to get a cosy lounge set for Christmas day. And then, a week later, I would have to plan an entirely different outfit for a New Year’s Eve party. As a lot of you can imagine, this habit wasn’t sustainable. I quickly realised that a lot of the clothes I owned were just for one occasion, and I rarely wore them again. Several items would stay hidden in part of my wardrobe until I did my yearly ritual of decluttering, and I would finally donate them after only wearing them once or twice.

But in 2023 I was committed to making a change. I wanted to be more conscious with my spending, and also find new ways in which I could make my habits more sustainable and environmentally-friendly. Turns out that fashion has a lot to do with those issues, and changing my consumption habits when it comes to clothes really helped me avoid the whole ‘What-Should-I-Wear’ dilemma that happened before every single occasion. So, I wanted to share some tips and tricks on how to balance being conscious with your holiday shopping and managing to put together a great outfit for end of year celebrations.

Make a Wishlist and Set a Shopping Budget

I don’t want to be the one that says that you can NEVER buy any new clothes for a special occasion. Especially at this time of the year, we all have our own Christmas list with some things that we don’t necessarily need. But sometimes we want to treat ourselves (and others) after a year of hard work. And that’s absolutely valid. However, if you’re looking for ways to stop overspending on fashion items you don’t need, making a budget and sticking to a list of trendy items that you want to buy this season might be a great way to do that. That way, you give yourself permission to treat yourself a little bit while you’re also staying conscious of each item you’re buying. Sticking to a budget forces you to prioritise which items you really want. It also prevents you from impulse shopping and buying everything you find cute without questioning if you’re actually going to wear it.

Clean Out Your Wardrobe Before Shopping

Like I mentioned before, one of the things that really helped me in the process of avoiding overconsumption was to do a clean-out of my wardrobe. Every December, I’ll take every single item out of my wardrobe and see what I would like to keep and what I need to donate. Doing this helped me to have an idea of what I already own, and many times I gave up on a purchase that I was planning on making because I found a similar item already in my closet. Even if you decide to stick with your shopping list, getting a good look at your wardrobe can give you new ideas on how to pair your outfits. With this, you can go ahead with your purchase with a better idea of how you can wear your new item in ways that complement what you already own. This way, you’ll definitely get more wears out of it.

Consider Buying Second-Hand First

Currently, I’m focused on prioritising second-hand shopping when it’s possible for me to do so. Whenever I add something that I want to buy to my list, I make it a rule that I have to search for it at thrift stores to see if it’s maybe worth buying second-hand instead of at a fast fashion store. And, I have to admit, majority of the time, the answer is yes: it’s worth it. At thrift stores, I’ve found so many items that were in perfect condition, and were listed for less than half of the price of a new one. And plus: this way, you’re also helping the environment by giving less money to the fast fashion industry. If you live in London, I recently wrote an article on the best thrift stores in the city that can help you with where to get started. And even if you don’t have any good thrift stores in your local area, digital platforms like Depop, Vinted and even Etsy offer some great options for second-hand clothing at amazing prices.

These three tips really helped me on cutting my shopping habits when it comes to New Year’s Eve. This year, for example, I have plans to go to my Christmas dinner wearing a winter coat that I purchased from Vinted, together with a black pleated skirt that I bought for celebrations two years ago but that I continue to wear until this day because of how much I love it. And, at least for me, that’s the whole point of conscious shopping: making sure that whatever you choose to wear, you wear it because you love it, and not because others say it looks good or you bought an item on an impulse.

I know that I still have a lot to learn when it comes to making my wardrobe more environmentally friendly, but these tips helped me really question what I like in fashion. Also, they helped me explore how I want to express myself through clothes without splurging on online shopping every time I have a new occasion. It helped me discover more about myself and my preferences, and consequently it also makes me feel less guilty when I buy a new item because I’m certain that it fits my budget and that I’m going to wear it. Implementing these new habits may not be easy if you’re a fashion lover like me, but it will definitely help you in the long-run if you want to discover more about yourself and your personal taste.

Brenda is a Style correspondent at Her Campus at the King’s College London (KCL) Chapter, and has a true passion for creating beauty and style content that is inclusive and body-positive. Brenda is currently in her second year of undergraduate study at King's College London studying International Relations. Despite this being her first year writing for Her Campus, she has had a love for journalism and content creation since her early teens, which led to her attending a Harvard University programme for Journalism and Media and writing for teenage magazines in Brazil. Besides writing, Brenda’ interests include going to the gym and travelling. Also, exploring all the different restaurants and cuisines that London has to offer :)