Style > Fashion

Stylish and Sustainable: Your Guide To The Best Thrift Stores London Has To Offer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

to help you navigate the (endless) options of thrift stores in london, and make sure that you fall in love with second-hand clothing as much as I did.

Thrift stores are (thankfully) increasing in popularity across the world, and in London it isn’t any different. The long-standing myth of thrift stores only having old and unfashionable clothes is finally being debunked, and every day you see a new shop popping up on the streets of London. But, especially if you’re new to the world of thrifting and second-hand clothing, how do you know which stores are worth having a look at? Which ones can you find certain types of clothing/styles? This article is here to help you navigate the (endless) options of thrift stores in London, and make sure that you fall in love with second-hand clothing as much as I did. 

Going to charity shops with my friends and spending literally hours looking through the clothing options has got to be one of my favourite pastime activities that I acquired in 2023. In 2022, I made myself a promise that I would become more environmentally conscious about my fashion choices, and also to be more aware of my spending (if you’re a fashion lover with a student budget like me I’m sure you can relate). Enter thrift shopping – all of my issues seem to be solved: looking for carefully curated items that often are either the same price or cheaper than fast-fashion (and most of the time a lot better quality!) became a new passion. And, luckily, living in London proved to be a great advantage to explore this new hobby: the city is embracing this idea more and more, and every time I go to a different area in the city centre I can spot a thrift store that I know wasn’t there before. 

So, given my personal experience and what I know from other Londoners, here is a guide to the best thrift stores in London that are definitely worth a visit if you’re keen to start your second-hand clothing journey.

1. Rokit, Covent Garden (42 Shelton St, London WC2H 9HZ)

One of the thrift stores with the most diverse options, and only a 10 minute walk from King’s College London’s Strand Campus? Yes, that’s true! Rokit has an incredible selection of women’s and men’s clothing, with amazing brands like Nike, The North Face and Levi’s for more affordable prices. They also have other stores across London, in Camden and Brick Lane. What I love the most is that they’re clearly trying to attract younger people to thrifting: their 20% student discount is proof that it is worth stopping by to have a look. 

1. ATIKA London (55-59 Hanbury Street) 

Probably one of the most well-known brands in the London vintage world, ATIKA is definitely not one to miss when looking for new ways to update your wardrobe. Personally, the branding and publicity of ATIKA is on point, appealing to every Londoner that wants to have a cool and unique style. Instead of well-known brands, ATIKA is known for showcasing independent artists and designers in their selection, so there’s very little chance you’ll see someone else wearing the same item as you if you decide to shop here. Oh, and if you’re into sportswear, this is definitely the place to look. PS: their flagship store is located in a renovated factory, which is a guarantee for some great Instagram stories to post while you’re shopping. Cool, right? 

1. House of Retro (232 Portobello Rd, London W11 1LJ)

If you like vintage/retro styles, the significance of Portobello Road is definitely a given. Famous for its unique shops and peculiar items for sale, Portobello Road is symbolic of the vintage, cool and hipster side of London; and House of Retro isn’t any different. From ruffled maxi skirts to embroidered leather bags, this is the perfect shop if you’re looking for something that will make you stand out in a crowd. 

1. British Red Cross/Cancer Research/Oxfam/Mind

And, last but not least, I want to emphasise how many charity shop chains you can find in London. The closer to the city centre you are, the more likely you are to find one of these chains near you. Yes, they may not have as big of a selection as the other options, but they are definitely worth a look, as many people donate brand-new clothes to these shops in order to help with their causes. Personally, I have found great items from shops like ZARA, Pretty Little Thing, and Selfridges, all under £10. Furthermore, you can spend knowing that your money is going to support a social cause, whether it be to help the elderly in the UK or to support children’s education in war-torn countries. So I highly encourage you giving your nearest shop a try.

Overall, if you live in London or are just visiting for a couple of days, this city is one of the best places to be at if you want to start thrifting. In my experience, I have found many good quality and fashionable items for about half the price of what I would pay in any fast-fashion store. And I swear, many of the items that I bought thrifting are my go-to favourites in my wardrobe. Hopefully, this list can give you an overall look into the thrifting world in London, and encourage you to explore more of the stores available in this giant city (or any city for that matter!).

Brenda is a Style correspondent at Her Campus at the King’s College London (KCL) Chapter, and has a true passion for creating beauty and style content that is inclusive and body-positive. Brenda is currently in her second year of undergraduate study at King's College London studying International Relations. Despite this being her first year writing for Her Campus, she has had a love for journalism and content creation since her early teens, which led to her attending a Harvard University programme for Journalism and Media and writing for teenage magazines in Brazil. Besides writing, Brenda’ interests include going to the gym and travelling. Also, exploring all the different restaurants and cuisines that London has to offer :)