This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

With the hustle and bustle of the new academic year, it’s normal to feel absolutely and completely exhausted already. We all need a little R&R from time to time and you absolutely deserve to treat yourself! So, here are just a few things you can do to wind down after a day of lectures and classes at a student friendly budget.

FOOD

Everyone loves food. It’s a given. From the cheesiest lasagne to a crisp, fresh quinoa salad to a hefty stack of pancakes, London is definitely not skimping on the food front. Many places around the city offer student discount (from 10% to 30%) off the bill. Just as an example:

• Pizza Express – 30% off, Sunday to Thursday
  • Byron – 30% off
  • Itsu – 15% off
  • SOHO Coffee – 10% off
  • Chiquito – 25% off
  • Bella Italia – 50% off, Sunday to Thursday (selected items)

* All offers correct on 04/10/18. Discount through UniDays App Each varies in their terms and conditions so make sure to read the fine print carefully

DRINKS

Whether you like a pint of beer or a pint of lemonade, there are plenty of after-hours bars open for you… and at a low cost!

• Check out King’s student union bars and café’s: Guy’s Bar, Philosophy Bar, The Vault, The Shack and The Shed for cheaper drinks
  • Download the Drinki app to find out where all the happy hours are happening and also grab a free drink from the bar with the app too
  • Want a drink with a view? Why not book a free viewing ticket to Sky Garden? Enjoy a beautiful picturesque view of the city as you chat with friends sipping your cocktails and mocktails alike.

ENTERTAINMENT

A great way to wind down after a long week is heading out and going to catch a film or a show. Being in London, the price of tickets isn’t always cheap, but here are some tips on how to enjoy yourself AND keep your bank account happy.

Cinema:

• Keep an eye out for any 2-for-1 type deals in newspapers and online
  • Vue Cinema now offers ‘Super Mondays’ where you can get tickets for new films at a reduced price for the whole day
  • Groupon occasionally sell a group of tickets at a reduced price that can be redeemed at the cinema, so maybe gather up a group to go

Comedy and Theatre:

• The 99 Comedy Club hosts 7 nights a week across Leicester Square and Covent Garden with tickets from as low as £7
  • Some theatres have discounted tickets exclusive to students/young people from prices from as little as £5 to £15 – National Theatre, Barbican Theatre, Bridge Theatre
  • Most theatres do limited day tickets that you can purchase at the box office, starting prices generally from £10 up

SPA

Okay so we all deserve a luxury spa retreat, but you know, we’re already in debt… let’s not push it. Here are some ways to get pampered without all the extra ££ on top:

• Groupon, Wowcher and Treatwell are your best friends. Seriously. You can find hundreds of special offers for all things spa from manicures and facials all the way to hot stone massages around the city at a discounted price
  • Hidden away at the top of Hair By Fairy in Neal’s Yard, Covent Garden is Chi’s Nails Studio – they do a great manicure with cuticle care for only £16 (a real gem to find in zone 1)
  • Superdrug is also your friend – occasionally there’s 3 for 2 on facemasks and if you get the Unidays app + a free Superdrug membership card, there’s student discount

Here are just some of the many ways to treat yourself at a friendly budget this semester after the carnage that was freshers’ week, no matter how you spent it. Rejuvenate yourself, go on… you deserve it… 

Avid napper and English student at King's College London that procrastinates from writing by - well, writing. South London native.
King's College London English student and suitably obsessed with reading to match. A city girl passionate about LGBTQ+ and women's rights, determined to leave the world better than she found it.