Tonight Josephine: Millennial Pink Heaven

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

This cocktail bar took Instagram by storm in a flurry of pink, pink neon lights, colourful fruity drinks and did I mention pink? I was able to visit this blogger favourite hotspot for a friend’s birthday and it’s definitely a spot to hit up again soon.

I’m sure you’ve probably already seen the bar front opposite Waterloo station, standing as a shock of pink against the otherwise dreary and dull greys. And if you haven’t seen it in person, you’ve definitely seen an ‘edgy’ insta shot online (awkwardly demonstrated here by me): The bar serves an array of prosecco and fancy looking cocktails as well as tailoring for those of us who don’t drink alcohol either – yay for mocktails! Equally as fancy, but equally as expensive.

But who the hell is Josephine?

The bar is an homage to Joséphine de Beauharnais, Napoleon’s first wife and the first Empress of France. The company website explains that Joséphine lived life with the motto ‘c’est la fucking vie’ and wholly embraced her sensuality, sass and hustle to become the ‘nineteenth century fox’ history has since fallen in love with.

Tired of merely being the trophy wife while Napoleon was off fighting and womanising, Joséphine threw massive parties and entertained a string of famous lovers. When she joined her husband before a battle, her advances were turned down: ‘Not tonight, Joséphine’. After their split, she took her pet parrot, attendants and all her belongings. Yet, she was clearly a woman who made a massive impact as Napoleon’s last word on his death bed was simply a breath of her name. When I grow up, I kinda want to be Joséphine.

Indeed, the bar exudes just the right amount of glamour and sassiness that Tonight Josephine is the last thing on your mind as you go home for the night. Indulge yourself in the excess pink and embrace it with all your millennial heart.

PS. Happy Hour is every day of the week from 5-7pm… go on… it’s just next to campus…

Avid napper and English student at King's College London that procrastinates from writing by - well, writing. South London native.
King's College London English student and suitably obsessed with reading to match. A city girl passionate about LGBTQ+ and women's rights, determined to leave the world better than she found it.