bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Tips to achieve your goals before 2019 is over

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

If you are reading this, you – just like me- probably feel like this year just flew by so quickly! 2020 is heading pretty fast towards us, but this does not mean there is not enough time to achieve your goals. When it comes to achieving those new year resolutions, we so optimistically set out to achieve so many great things at the beginning of the year, that we tend to undermine the little day to day factors in our lives which are able to cause setbacks for us in the long run. While there’s no point in beating yourself up about the wasted timeshare are some tips to focus on the time you actually have left and to get all the ticks on your list.

Time

First thing’s first, do not beat yourself up for falling off track. The time you have not used to reach your goals you have probably spent it on other things that require your attention and unable to avoid. However, it is important you notice where your time has gone. Go through your daily routine, see where you feel you’ve been wasting time and become aware of the little habits that stop you from allocating more time to achieve your goals. do not use this as another excuse, but remember that becoming aware of your time you can reschedule it and get closer to your goals in less time!

Realistic Goals

Having realized how much time you will be able to dedicate to your goals; you need to ask yourself what there is still time to do. If you have some non-negotiable goals, focus on those and move the other to 2020. It is better to achieve some goals rather than not achieve any of them because your list is too long! We almost always have goals that we just write onto the bucket list for the year, that can be moved to a time that is more convenient. In saying this, the most important thing is to be realistic with your goals. While the modern age we all want everything and now, that is often not the case, especially when the steps to achieve our goals are multiple. For how much it is hard to say “no” to your goals, you may feel more a loser not achieving it than admitting it is too much for you in this moment, especially if you have just a few months left. Do not be stubborn keeping a goal on your bucket list as you may lose the motivation for the other goals as well because you feel defeated. If you are real to yourself, you can for sure achieve your goals in a couple of months!

Planning and tracking results

Once you have a clearer idea of what your goals actually are, it is time to focus on the step needed to achieve them. Considering the short time left, do not make the mistake of looking just at the long run. Consider the steps you will have to take daily to get closer to your goal. How are you going to divide your steps during the week? what on a Tuesday? Having decided this, set up a schedule each weekend for the week ahead. Write down all your tasks for every specific day – have fun using colorful pens, funny calendars or useful apps on your smartphone! Each night plan your next day and stick to it, as you have made sure that there are no clashes in your timetables. When you do this, track your results as well. Results will take time, but noticing every little win will keep you motivated. So plan ahead and track every step forward!

Productivity

Lastly, even if it seems obvious, stop wasting time. Focus on yourself, stop checking up on how great others’ lives are and doubting your own. The more you waste time on the things that don’t serve you, the further away you are from reaching your goals. This include binge watching on Netflix, sleeping your days away. Instead, stick to your schedule, do not procrastinate. A good tip is to set a timer of 20 minutes in which you will work towards your goal. Getting started is the key and you will realize that if you actually start you won’t even notice that 20 minutes have passed. You will get into the flow and be more productive. Stop wasting time and be more productive!

In conclusion, achieving your goals is always possible, but a bit easier if you follow these tips!

I am an Italian student of International Relations at KIngs College London. I am passionate about travelling and photography as they respectively allowed me to discover different cultures and capture unique moments. The curiosity for the heterogeneity of the world and the desire to understand how it work despite (or thanks) these differences spurred me to take a BA in IR. I am also keen on writing about different topics ( from politics to environmental issues to school life) and on cooking ( I love baking).
President of Her Campus KCL!