This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

Once on my way to class, I started thinking about an old friend that I hadn’t seen in a few months; fifteen minutes later when I walked into Bush House, I saw him standing near the elevators. Another time, I was thinking about an author whose book I wanted to read and that evening when I was scrolling through Netflix, his documentary came up on my home page. Shakti Gawain, in her book Creative Visualisation, explains such experiences perfectly. She tells us that “energy of a certain quality or vibration attracts energy of similar quality and vibration”. Since thoughts (and feelings) have their own energy, one which is magnetic, you’re attracting thoughts similar to the ones you’re currently thinking every minute of every day!

Our thoughts influence our feelings, and our feelings influence our actions. So, the whole process begins with what we think, and everything that’s in our lives at this very moment is a result of our past thoughts. This means that by changing our current thoughts, we can create our future life, and attract all the things that we want into our life experiences. Can you believe that? Being able to have every single thing you’ve ever wanted, and the only change you need to make is to consistently think about what you want!

The concept that we create our own life stems from the Law of Attraction, which states that whatever we think about or focus on the most over a period of time will manifest in our lives in the future. So, if you think of yourself as intelligent, successful, healthy, etc. starting now, this will be your reality in the future. The law also states that like attracts like, which means that if you’re trying to make a change in your life, thinking about the thing you want will bring situations, experiences, and people into your current experience that will help you achieve your desire. But you should also know that the Law of Attraction doesn’t work without the Law of Action, so while thinking things like ‘I am successful’, you also need to make an active effort to work towards your goals.  

The only ‘catch’ in this is that the Law of Attraction doesn’t see anything as ‘good’ or ‘bad’ – it gives you whatever you think about and focus your attention on. If you repeat ‘I don’t want to fail’ or ‘I don’t want to wake up late’ you’re focusing on the thing you don’t want with your thoughts, which will bring you the thing you’re trying to avoid. Instead, simply focus on what you do want to bring into your life – ‘I want to be successful, I want to wake up on time’, etc., and that’s what will come into your life. Also, if after reading this you start worrying about your negative thoughts, just remember that positive thoughts hold more power and are easier to manifest than negative ones (there’s a section in The Secret about this, I highly recommend you watch the movie/read the book). 

I’m not an expert on this topic, but I wanted to share this with you guys because it made a massive difference in my life. When lockdown started, I read The Secret and at first, I was a bit skeptical, but after a few weeks of changing the way I thought and trying to focus on what I wanted, I started seeing a difference in the things I attracted into my life. Obviously, it’s not realistic to be positive all the time, but by focusing on what you want the majority of the time, you’ll see a change in your life. Also, remember to be patient with yourself, it’s not easy to change your thoughts and mindset and it will take some getting used to, but just like everything else, it gets easier with practice :)

Just as a little experiment, for the next week try thinking about the things that you want to bring into your life. Start imagining how you want your day to go, start seeing yourself as confident, successful, creative, whatever it is that you want to be, and start focusing on the things you want to attract into your future. Soon, you’ll be able to see your life change with just a small shift in your thoughts!

Book suggestions if you want to know more about the topic: The Secret (also a movie on Netflix) by Rhonda Byrne, Creative Visualisation by Shakti Gawain, and The Power of Your Subconscious Mind by Joseph Murphy.

Third-year International Management student.
hahsghqs