Life > Experiences

The ultimate guide to a perfect Christmas in London

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

I know that December can be quite intense – with exams coming up, presents to buy for family members, the sun setting earlier… However, I came up with a guide to help you get into the Christmas spirit with fun activities to do around London at this period of the year.

One of my favourite things about London is how festive it looks around Christmas. I believe that it is the place to be around this time of the year. London and NYC are, in my opinion, the two cities that celebrate Christmas the best. The first thing I recommend is to go see the lights and decorations scattered all around the city as they are magical and will instantly bring you warmth!

My favourite spots to look at Christmas lights and decors:

–> Covent Garden

–> Oxford Street

–> South Kensington with Harrods

–> Piccadilly Circus

–> Tower Bridge

–> Southbank

Christmas also means going to Christmas markets to look at pretty decorations to hang on your tree or grab a bite. Christmas markets are abundant in London so you will definitely find what you are looking for!

Christmas markets:

–> You could explore the one between Tower Bridge and London Bridge and grab a Nutella crepe on the way.

–> You could also go to the one in Trafalgar Square and eat mini pancakes with delicious hot chocolate.

–> Or finally, you could go to Borough Market, which is decorated for the holidays.

London at this time of the year is not only decorated for the occasion but is also filled with tons of activities to do with your family or friends. One of my all-time favourites is ice skating. It does not matter if you are a beginner or have skated your entire life.

My favourite ice skating locations (especially at night):

–> Somerset House

–> Battersea Power Station

They tend to get quite crowded, so make sure to book in advance and preferably go during the week. I find it a lot more fun at night, as there are lights and music!

One thing London is notorious for is Hyde Park Winter Wonderland. It is one of the most famous Christmas events and is held in Hyde Park. There are loads to do, however, it tends to get quite expensive as you have to pay for both entry and everything you will do in there. I still recommend it but try to go when it is less crowded and at night as it is always more fun.

Things to do in Winter Wonderland:

–> ice skating

–> fun rides

–> food and bars

–> giant wheel

Finally, I recommend going to watch a Christmas movie. It is one of my favourite things to do and there are so many screenings around London in December.

Christmas movie screenings:

–> I went to the Backyard Cinema in 2021 to watch The Holiday, and to Prince Charles Cinema in 2022 to watch Love Actually.

–> There are many Christmas movies to watch around London, from Home Alone to Die Hard, but you also have the option of attending a Christmas movie marathon to rediscover all the classics and spend a night of utter fun.

If you are more of a theatre person, I recommend attending Christmas themed plays or famous ballets:

Theatre plays/ballets:

–> The Nutcracker

–> No One Wraps Like An Elf

–> Nativity! The Musical

However, a reminder that you don’t have to get out of your house to get into the Christmas spirit! You can stay home, make some hot chocolate, and watch a cozy Christmas movie with your loved ones. What I love doing, is decorating the house and tree, then decorating some Christmas cookies and eating them with hot chocolate. I have consummated a scary number of Christmas movies over the past few years but my favourites will always be the Disney ones or classic romcoms such as The Holiday. Sorry, but Hallmark movies will never beat them.

I hope you will all have an amazing Christmas!

Flore Boitel is a writer at Her Campus at the King's College London (KCL) chapter. She writes for the Life section of the chapter but also writes for Entertainment whenever she is able to. She is a French student, who moved to London for her studies. Flore is completing her final year at KCL, studying towards a BA English degree. Last year she was the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus KCL and oversaw all the articles that were published for that 2022-2023 academic year. She is also a student ambassador at KCL and part of the cheerleading team. Beyond Her Campus, Flore's interests include literature, cheerleading, music (R&B), drinking hot chocolate while watching Gilmore Girls, and going on runs around London. She is also an adept of travelling and was able to study abroad at the University of Pennsylvania, and lived in 5 different countries.