Style

The Top 5 Sustainable Brands To Shop From This Autumn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

The leaves have turned orange, cafés are stocked with pumpkin-spiced everything and there is a crisp chill in the air… I can officially declare that it is autumn. Whilst there are several aspects to autumn that make me excited such as: the food, halloween and the gothic weather, nothing gets me more excited than the fashion. Cosy sweaters, woolly scarves and thick leather jackets are all coming back into trend. But, where does one find these pieces? Lucky for you, I scoured the Internet to find the best places for you to revamp your Autumn style. Now, this is not an article endorsing mass consumerism asking you to completely throw out everything from your wardrobe and buy a whole new one; instead, whilst rewearing your clothes from last year, you can also treat yourself to some new, sustainably sourced pieces of fashion as all these brands listed below are sustainable! So, get ready to shop…

1. Uniqlo 

Not only do they produce staple pieces which will no doubt be coming out of your wardrobe every year, but their clothes are also good quality basics which means you can rewear and style them in a million different ways. A big staple in autumn fashion is cardigans, and Uniqlo have been doing cardigans right with their Merino Crew Neck Cardigan which comes in up to nine colours. Or for a more trendy look you could go for a Souffle Yarn High Neck Jumper which comes in a series of scrumptious colours including: green, peach, blue, white, black, beige or lavender. 

1. Lucy & Yak 

They are known for being a small Brighton based brand that does alternative and hippie fashion right. Their iconic boiler jumpsuits such as the Ragan jumpsuit would be perfect for the more chilly weather layered on top of a turtleneck. Or if you prefer something more cosy you could opt for their fluffy, yet colourful fleeces, which are bound to get some heads turning!

1. Naadam

Although, they are a bit more on the pricier end, their minimalistic but stylish pieces are the pinnacle of autumnal fashion. Their infamous cashmere sweater is probably one of their best Autumn pieces as it comes in a series of colours to choose from such as a baby blue or soft pink, and its versatility is undeniable. The brand is vital to completing that elegant and classy Autumn look.

1. CHNGE

CHNGE challenges the boundaries of fashion as not only are they high up there on sustainability but also with their progressive outlook and passion for social justice. Most of their profits do end up going towards environmental and humanitarian causes and a bonus… their clothes are actually cute! One of my personal favourites is their Take Care Oversized hoodie which comes in a luxurious pine colour and is perfect for those colder autumn days. 

1. Bastet Noir

Taking a more sophisticated approach to fashion we have Bastet Noir. If you are into that trendy but minimalist Autumn fashion, then this is the place for you! One of their bestsellers is the Dakota Coat which definitely encapsulates that main character Autumn girl energy that is imperative in such a romantic season. 

Sukhman Kaur is the writer at the Her Campus at King's College London. She oversees the style category on the website including: fashion, interior design and more. Beyond Her Campus, Sukhman has worked at creating an online magazine for her Media Studies A-level which she received an A* in. She has also completed an EPQ giving her expert writing and referencing skills and she has analysed magazines such as Teen Vogue academically giving her a personal and knowledgable insight into the world of magazines. In her free time, Sukhman enjoys baking, going on walks and hanging out with her families and friends. She is a massive film geek always watching the next best TV show or Film.