Culture > News

The Syrian Refugee Crisis & How to Help Those in Need

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

Here at KCL, we just finished ‘Syria week’ which was set up by the ‘Students 4 Syria’ Society. This was a week-long initiative from the 27th of January to the 31st, in which students worked together to help fundraise for Syrian refugees, currently living in Turkey. 

The week consisted of many fantastic events ranging from a Quiz night, Girls FITE club, Guys Cricket tournaments, Global Village Sweets Stalls, Girls’ Chai ‘N’ Chill, Guys FIFA tournament, Games night and daily Bake sales. The total money raised across the week will go on to fund a special needs centre which will provide psycho-social support for children and the disabled.  Especially focussing on their mental health, wellbeing and countering the PTSD they have had to endure due to all of the conflict surrounding them.

So I thought this article would be a good opportunity to share in the spirit of the week by raising awareness about the situation in Syria.

Ever since the eruption of a civil war in March 2011, Syria has been in a state of turmoil and crisis. Thousands have been killed, injured or has lost their loved ones The war has not only divided the country but separated families, as millions of people have been forced to flee their own country to seek refuge and help. Many have lost access to essential rights because of how hospitals and school buildings have been destroyed during the conflict. Now the Syrian Refugee Crisis is regarded as one of the largest displacement crises in international history.

It’s important to recognise that Syria wasn’t always this way. Just a year prior, in 2010, Syria had a booming economy funded by its extensive oil, agriculture and industries. During this period, Syria was one of the few countries that could boast the service of free healthcare and education for all. It was home to over 22 million people and was a country renowned for its rich history and cultural landmarks, many of which are now reduced to mere rubble. 

The Syrian civil war was sparked after a series of pro-democracy protests were met with a violent government response. Under the rule of President Bashar Al Assad, security forces cracked down on the demonstrators, who were protesting against the arrests of teenagers for spreading anti-government graffiti in the town of Darra. The war spread, increasingly dividing regional areas as well as religious sects.

In 2012, the Syrian government officially began to commit war crimes, such as chemical attacks, which violated the codes of conduct set out and agreed by the UN Human Rights Council. Within months, the first formation of refugee camps began to emerge in neighbouring countries such as Turkey, Lebanon, and Jordan. This involved thousands living in make-shift homes and in the worst of living conditions including limited water supply and poor sanitation. 

It is estimated that half of the victims of the refugee crisis are children and teenagers under the age of 18. Not only have these children lost their childhoods and their rights to an education, but many have grown up in this world only knowing a life of war and conflict. 

By 2015, the increasing crisis in Syria had spread across Europe, putting pressure of the number of refugees they could accept. Greece in particular, helped 1 million refugees escape their war-torn country that year. Other countries like Hungary however, had to close their borders to accepting any more refugee migrants. 

The refugees who are fleeing Syria and are hoping to escape to countries across the seas, have to travel thousands of miles on dinghy boats. Many don’t make it and die along the dangerous journey, but still, thousands still choose to put their lives at risk in hopes of reaching safety and getting a better life. 

Yet even when the Syrian refugees finally reached their destinations, the instability further persists as they are faced with one of two options. Either they are turned away by closed borders or they get a chance to live in that country. Yet even if they are lucky enough to receive the latter option, it can be incredibly difficult for refugees to find employment, as many face prejudice and discrimination in their new countries. Due to this, unemployment is rife amongst refugees and the majority face extreme levels of poverty.

In December 2016, the situation escalated further when the Syrian government recaptured the city of Aleppo from the rebels, leaving the resistance as well as innocent civilians caught in the crossfires. Unfortunately, the crisis still continues to this day and this year is entering its 10th year of civil war and conflict. This is why it is so important for us to be grateful for what we have in life and use the opportunities we have been given to do good and help those in need.

So what can we students do to help the Syrian refugees in need?

1. Awareness: Join your university’s ‘Students4Syria’ society to learn more about the conflict in Syria by attending events, volunteering at stalls and fundraising to benefit of the refugees. Follow them on social media and keep up to date with them. This way, you will not only learn more about the crisis yourself, but you can also help to educate others as well by raising awareness of the situation in Syria.

2. Politics: Lobby your Government, sign petitions, get in touch with your local MP and hold them to account. Remember to take the Syrian Refugee crisis into consideration during the next election, when you are deciding who to vote for. Politics plays a big role in the management and treatment of refugees. 

3. Teaching: Sometimes time can be the best donation! Teaching refugees beneficial life skills is one easy way for us students to help out and make a meaningful difference! If your multi-lingual Languages student, why not helping teaching refugees your native language or translating for refugees? This is especially useful for refugees when they are seeking jobs and undergoing everyday life in a new country – which can be really intimidating task! Law students who are looking for work experience could use their skills to help fight for the rights of refugees. Medical Students can use their skills to possibly help ‘Doctors without borders.’ Ultimately, all students can use the unique skills they gain from their degree to help others!

4. Donations: Give as much as you can to the various charities and causes which support the refugees in Syria (A little or a lot can make a big difference to someone’s life!) Why not try fundraising to raise money for refugees? If you’re to baker type, a campus bake sale could be the perfect thing for you! Or if you’re the sporty type, perhaps a sponsored run or climb might be more appealing! Creative types could have a go at selling artwork inspired by refugees and film-making types could maybe make a documentary about some of the struggles refugees face and share their work at a small ticketed screening for family and friends. Whatever your talent is, use it to make the world a better place!

Sources:

– WorldVision.org – ‘Syrian refugee crisis: Facts, FAQs, and how to help

– BBC – ‘Syria profile: Timeline’ 

– War on the Rocks – ‘Will Displaced Syrians ever return? History says no.’ 

– Britannica – ‘Syrian Civl War Uprising in Syria 2011

British Muslimah. Intersectional feminist. Cynical Hufflepuff. Professional cat-lover. Shaheena is an English Literature student with a passion for social activism. In her spare time, she enjoys photography, reading and watching cartoons/animes. Her top fandoms include: Avatar (atla), Ghibli, Disney, Harry Potter, Marvel, Doctor Who & Sherlock.
hahsghqs